Newbie: Kde3.4 [solved]

Guest Mackentack

Guest Mackentack

Hello im a total newb to linux just installing mandrake 10.1 (3cd version) a few days ago. For some reason its been fun fixing all these problems that come up all the time. Its alot of work but at the end it can be very rewarding. Right now im dealing with the problem of getting my usb device to work properly. After i plug in my usb i can only open it through the konsole and konqueror just hangs. Ive figured that i need a Kde update from 3.2 to 3.4 to solve the problem. My question is how do i upgrade to kde 3.4 withouting killing the os? what would be the easiest way to install without running into any problems and if there was a problem is their a way to go back?

ive read other threads about installing kde 3.4 but they are very confusing @_@

Glad you posted this. I have kde 3.3 - came with LE 2005 and want to install 3.4 as well. I found a few sites that have 50+ kde 3.4 files and had no idea which ones to install.

Is there a .rpm package for 3.4 that does it all and is easy to install?

mackentack: No, you don't. You just need to install the official Mandrakelinux 10.1 updates, which fix that bug. Run MandrakeUpdate and follow along.

kompact: it's _really_ not something you want to mess with unless you want to learn by fixing broken stuff or something in KDE 3.4 is life-changingly important to you. If you must do it, use Thac's packages, he has instructions posted in this forum I believe.

Ok, thx adamw, there is nothing life changingly important that I want to install. I just want to muck around and learn to do as much "stuff" as I can with Linux. I use Acronis to image my drives before I change anything anyway so if something doesn't work out it only takes 8-9min to restore my image. Makes mistakes easy = }