xmms perl interface

Guest nomenklatura

Guest nomenklatura

Dear all,

Does anyone know how to get the Doug MacEachern's Perl XMMS interface to install on Mandrake 10.1? It is nowhere to be seen on urpmi, and if you download from CPAN ( perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Xmms'), it won't install, for reasons I can't quite grasp. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The problem seems to arise with the makefile, but I don't really understand how to fix it:

cp lib/Xmms/ExtUtils.pm blib/lib/Xmms/ExtUtils.pm
cp lib/Bundle/Xmms.pm blib/lib/Bundle/Xmms.pm
cp lib/Xmms.pm blib/lib/Xmms.pm
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrea/Xmms-Perl-0.12/Config'
cp Config.pm ../blib/lib/Xmms/Config.pm
/usr/bin/perl5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ExtUtils/typemap  Config.xs > Config.xsc && mv Config.xsc Config.c
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/EXTERN.h', needed by `Config.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrea/Xmms-Perl-0.12/Config'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

thanks

Moved from Software to Terminal Shell Commands, Kernel and Programming - Artificial Intelligence

Guest nomenklatura

OK, figured it out. This might be useful for future users running Mandrake 10.1.....

The ultimate aim is to get a program called gronk to run on Mandrake 10.1. To do this, you need, and I quote from jwz:

# Perl 5.

# A whole lot of MP3 files, and their corresponding CDDB files.

# A web browser that supports HTML circa 1995.

# A web server (anything that supports Apache-style ``.htaccess'' files and CGI scripts.)

# mp3info or mp3info.

# XMMS, mpg123, or mpg321 for playback.

# If you are using XMMS, you'll also need Doug MacEachern's Perl XMMS interface (perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Xmms') which will in turn require the xmms and xmms-devel packages (from xmms.org.)

I might add you need grip to rip all your cd's into mp3 files.

The thing about mandrake is that their packaging schemes are quite weird. For example, they call the xmms devel package libxmms1-devel, and not all the of the Perl headers are in the Perl package: you need a separate package, perl-dev or something like that. You also might need glib-devel (referred to as glibc-devel by mandrake), but I am not sure if that is essential.

Once you get all of that installation is easy.