Static Linking [solved]

I have successfully linked a program with dynamic libraries. I now want to link the same program with statically.

If I use the rule

$(PROXIMODO): $(OBJ) $(CC) -o $@ $(OBJ) $(WXLIB)

the program links with dynamic libraries.

If I use the rule

$(PROXIMODO): $(OBJ) $(CC) -static -o $@ $(OBJ) $(WXLIB)

I receive the following error message:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwx_gtk2_xrc-2.6

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

-lwx_gtk2_xrc-2.6 is the first library in the library list.

I have done some Google searches but am stuck. Can snyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks. That was the solution. To be specific -

When I added -static to the link rule the linker tried to make *all* libraries static. Not only was this not what I wanted but I would have had to install the -static- versions of every library.

I added --disable-share to wxGTK ./configure to create a static version of wxGTK. I then compiled and linked the program (Proximodo) without the --static parmeter. This gave me what I wanted - the wxGTK2.6 libraries linked statically and all other libraries (including GTK2 ) linked dynamically.

The reason for doing it this way is that I was trying to create a Proximodo package. Proximodo uses wxGTK2.6 which has just been released, so it will probably be a while before binaries are available for most distributions. Proximodo also uses GTK2 (version 2.4.9 in my case) but I think that binary packages should be available for most distributions.

For the record the Proximodo compile was successful and I have prepared a package that should run on most distributions. So far it has been tested on my PC only so I have no idea if it will run on another machine (-;

I am hoping that the build will be include in the 0.2.4 release of Proximodo.

PS If anyone would like to test the package for me please contact me and I will send it to you. (Package size 1.5MB).