Installation problem - Mandrake 10.1

lostlinux

:juggle: Greetings! I have a Mandrake installation problem. I am attempting to install version 10.1. At first after the installation (currently using O/S Win XP) on a Dell 2400 Dimension Desktop, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 80GB ATA Hard Drive, upon booting up Mandrake was stopping at either "Mount USB Filesystem" or "Checking for New Hardware". I went into the BIOS and changed the USB emulation to "No Boot" and the USB controller to "OFF". Then I attempted to boot again, Linux went past the above 2 messages but stopped at "Bringing up interface eth0". I am unable to figure this one out. I hope that someone can assist me.

Guest Willard1975

I used to have the same problem, it continues to boot after 2min or so. This was due to my ADSL, it tries to obtain an ip address but fails. I had this problem when i was connected directly to my ADSL modem.

You can wait and manually run the dhcp client (dhcpcd or similar) after you login. It's a pain to wait everytime, but it's not your fault. Blame your ISP or ADSL modem ;) Alternately you can setup to boot the machine without network and start it manually to avoid waiting each time.

But then again your problem could be related to something else.

/Willard.

Got a USB file system (like a card that's not inserted)? Or any kind of hub? I'm reaching but if there is a card or some kind of removable usb file system, try putting it in place and install. Think I read recently that this is an issue. Alternatively, you can try removing extra usb connections (aside from a mouse) and see if things go alright. This would allow you to hook things back up and identify the problem.

:wall: Greetings all! I am very frustrated beating my head against a wall with Mandriva 10.1. I have reinstalled it 3 times now in order for the O/S to recognize my modem.

Background: Currently using a dual-boot system with XP and Mandriva. No problems there.

When I choose Linux, everything checks out fine except for the "Bringing up interface eth0". I am able to bypass it by typing in </etc/modules.conf> however that does no good.

When I get to the KDE desktop and check all the hardware that has been recognized, my modem which is CONEXANT D850 56K v.9XdfvC located on port Com3 is not there.

I have attempted to set up all parameters, PRI & SEC DNS, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and Connection Name with no connection.

Which is more frustrating is that Mandriva recognizes my Ethernet card which is BROADCOM 440x INTEGRATED 10/100 located on eth1.

I am using a dialup connection by the way.

I hope that I have provided enough information for someone to be able to help me with.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pace

dell might have a driver that works

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...&l=en&s=gen&cs=

don't be concerned right now with the eth0 /network card it's just trying to get an IP from a local area network atfer it can't get one the boot process continues

eth refers to network cards you want to play with tty ports for modems

it sounds like you have fully configured a network card with IP info and have no network to connect to.

you might find installing kppp helpful and it might query the modem as is, but i doubt it without the driver.

connecting an external serial connected modem will give you much less headaches , if you can get your hands on one go for it .

:furious3: Well, I downloaded the Dell driver for my modem and had a difficult time unzipping it. I think that I got it unzipped. I do apologize but I have not had much luck with WinZip. However, after I "think" that I unzipped the driver then I booted into Linux and attempted to once again go through the process of configuring my internet connection. Again, failure. :angry: I am not familiar with the "kppp" program or how to access it. I was once years ago a big Red Hat fan and had success with it, but this Mandriva has almost beaten me to submission. I trust that you will be patient with me, as I admit that I know virtually nothing about Mandriva or KDE. I just want to get connected to the internet on a Linux platform and then I will go from there. Just one step at a time. Again, any additional advice or help is greatly appreciated. :thanks:

get into the mandrake control center go to software management /install

change the search from mandrake packages to all packages

there is a package(s) for a conexant modem

Name: hsfmodem

Version: 6.03.00lnxt04082400full-1mdk

Size: 189 KB

search for kppp

Name: kdenetwork-kppp

Version: 3.2.3-19mdk

Size: 1063 KB

to run kppp type "kppp" or look in the menu internet/remote-access

connecting an external serial connected modem will give you much less headaches , if you can get your hands on one go for it .

:thanks: Snapback, I think that I am going with your suggestion for an external serial connected modem. Can you suggest one that is compatible with Mandriva 10.1? Also would I have to disconnect the Winmodem before I installed the external modem? I unzipped the Dell driver download but Windows told me that it is not a Win32 application so I was unable to open it. Windows really sux! Another problem that I have experienced is since I have installed Mandriva 10.1, now Win XP does not recognize my printer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the connection cables and still I am unable to print out a test page. Any suggestions about this problem? I am fully bent on getting this Linux issue solved and quit using Windows altogether. Any help or suggestions that would get me on my way would be kindly appreciated. Once again, much thanks!

Bob

Got a USB file system (like a card that's not inserted)? Or any kind of hub? I'm reaching but if there is a card or some kind of removable usb file system, try putting it in place and install. Think I read recently that this is an issue. Alternatively, you can try removing extra usb connections (aside from a mouse) and see if things go alright. This would allow you to hook things back up and identify the problem.

:cheeky: Sir, I definitely want to give you your props because you are talking way over my head. At this point, as a newbie I have to frankly be "babysat" so to speak. However, I am very bent on getting Linux working and getting rid of Windows. My modem is a Winmodem, that I have figured out. I did unzip a driver from Dell that another member gave me, but Windows told me that it was unable to open the file because it is not a Win32 program. I then attempted to try another angle from another member's advice and go into the Mandrake Control Center, Go to Software Management/Install, change search from Mandrake packages to ALL packages and then search for "hsfmodem". I thought that I had something going but there was nothing with "hsfmodem" listed. Bummer! :furious3: Then I did a search for "kdenetwork-kppp" and again, nothing. :angry: However, I am not quitting :evilmod: I have gone too far to give up. Any additional advice would be appreciated. :thanks:

Bob

usrobotics external i have used 3 different modems

1 33k and 2 56k modems on 10.0 and 10.1 and other linux flavors .

i have tried other external modems but haven't had the same luck as with the usrobotics

i use kppp to configure my dial up info and configure the modem

:cheeky: OK, I did everything that you suggested. The problem was is that there was no listing for "hsfmodem" :evilmod: I really thought that I had something going there :furious3: Then I tried a search for "kdenetwork-kppp" and again, nothing :wall: Hey, I am not going to give up, because I feel that I am this close to solving this problem thanks to you and all the other members who have taken their valuable time to help me :thanks: Any other suggestions or help would be very kindly appreciated. I know that I am going to work this out. A big kudos to you for your help!!!!!!

Bob

when you search for kppp in "install software/packages " try just searching for kppp .

when it doesn't return anything iin the list often it means it's already installed

open a terminal shell and type kppp