Mandrake 10.1, ASUS V6800V - suspend problem

Guest acmyau

Guest acmyau

Hopefully some of you gurus can help me out here, because I'm having trouble making sense of various information on the web with respect to getting standby, hibernation, or any form of suspension working. I checked other threads on the forum too and nothing seemed to help me out - so another thread...

suspend-scripts are installed, so first I tried using pmsuspend2, setting up acpi event scripts myself for both the lid and suspend buttons (cos I couldn't find any already setup - other reports on the web show people having theirs work out of the box - my asus_acpi module wasn't even installed).

The suspension itself seemed to work ok, but then at restart the system crashed with something to the effect of 'error accessing memory past end of device'. I thought hmmm, that's strange - 1GB RAM, 2GB on the resume partition - strange sort of error.

So I thought I'd try the hibernate script generated by suspend.sh in the suspend-scripts package. I modified /etc/suspend.conf to jump out of X before starting so I could see all the messages, and modified the SWSUSP_FORCE_SUSPEND_MODE param in that file to 'acpi' (cos the initial attempt when set to '0' failed due to no /proc/kernel/swsusp file').

I run 'hibernate', and again the suspension itself seemed to work ok, but restart just hangs. I don't know at which point because the screen goes blank. Sometimes if I leave it long enough (ie not always) I'll get a bunch of raw data, then a CPU Context error.

So I'm now at a loss. I can live without it if I have to. But hibernate and sleep would be nice functionality.

Is there a definitive accurate HOWTO somewhere? Or can someone give me some pointers as to what I may be doing wrong?

I know the hardware's pretty new (had to download updated drivers for the wireless before the adapter was happy), but surely that shouldn't be a problem(?)

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Edited by acmyau

Guest acmyau

I decided to give KDE's setup a go - via it's klaptop_acpi_helper application in the 'Configure your Desktop' app.

Same results as when I did things manually - so I'm guessing I haven't actually done anything wrong.

Maybe.

ty