Mandrake 10.1 and installing Vmware

Guest Zafrusteria

Guest Zafrusteria

I'm using vmware 3 because it works, I run a very old Win98 VPC on it and the 98 software will not work with later versions of VMwave.

When I run the vmware-install.pl script I get told it cannot find a vmon, do I want to compile one. Well hell yes i do :D. The script asks for the include directory for the kernal source which i have installed

uname -a gives

Linux linux12 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon Processor unknown GNU

The source is installed into /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk and there is a sym link from that to /usr/src/linux

The compile then fails with

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only/driver-2.6.8.1-12mdk'

.././linux/driver.c:0: warning: -malign-loops is obsolete, use -falign-loops

.././linux/driver.c:0: warning: -malign-jumps is obsolete, use -falign-jumps

.././linux/driver.c:0: warning: -malign-functions is obsolete, use -falign-functions

In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:20,

from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/interrupt.h:12,

from .././linux/driver.c:44:

/usr/src/linux/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory

.././linux/driver.c:45:27: linux/wrapper.h: No such file or directory

make[2]: *** [driver.d] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only/driver-2.6.8.1-12mdk'

make[1]: *** [deps] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only'

make: *** [auto-build] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only'

Unable to build the vmmon module.

There are two problems :beer: one the #include "irq_vectors.h" where there are three different copies of this file but not in the right place. i.e. they are in machine specific tpye directory structures and there is no file wrapper.h on my system.

using "urpmf linux/wrapper.h" there is no package with wrapper for my kernel only 2.2 and 2.4 :wall:

Any ideas, cose I think I'm screwed unless I go back to an earlier kernel. And How do you go back anyway :-)

:help:

Thanks

Zaf