Intuos3 Tablet [solved]

CaptainFreedom

• 8 months later...
... please post your XF86Config or Xorg.conf (same file)

... Also, is it your only mouse, like my wacom, or do you use it in addition to a regular mouse?

All the advice I've found both here and on the Wacom pages assumes any tablet is the one and only pointer device; I had someone approach me today to ask the forum if it was possible to run two pointers together, such that their USB mouse (logitech trackball) could be used as a pointer, but their touch-tablet (PenPower) used for detail graphics work in Gimp and OOo.

I think they asked me to ask because they were afraid of the answer ;)

Whether or not this particular touch tablet can be serviced by the existing HID or Wacom drivers, is this really an Xorg configuration issue? xorg.conf editing seems like voodoo; lots of posts quoting verbatim configurations, but is there any real guide to putting a config like this together? is it only possible to enable a secondary pointer through direct editing of the xorg.conf?

This may belong on another thread, but this PenPower TouchTablet (that's what harddrake calls it, 2005 says it's HIDUP, 2006 says it should use 'NEWHIDUP') is apparently also a unicode input device with embedded OCR tuned to Big5 Chinese. Anyone know if there's an Xorg config to make a USB pointer double as a secondary keyboard?

if there's any sort of functionality to be squeezed out of this device, it could be a real boon to Linux: the unit measures less than the size of a palm display and sells for about $20! I'm also reasonably optimistic that it can be supported since the basic usb-mouse function has been supported directly by windows since at least win98, and that suggests to me it's using a popular touchpad protocol.

I'm not much farther along the path, but I did find there was a Second Mouse Mini-HOWTO and from that I think enabling the stylus, eraser settings may be as easy as setting the device to the appropriate /dev/input/eventX (although I see event0 and event1, it appears their event0 is dead and event1 is their old USB mouse) and perhaps also adding it in as alternative input lines in the xorg.conf server section.