xmms won't run in Mdk 2005

MrWhisp

Hi,

After the upgrade to Mdk 2005 my xmms won't work. When I try to start it, the processor is at 100% workload until I kill xmms, and then I got a kde window crash warning message. I tried to reinstall the rpm package but it didn't help.

Anyony know of a solution?

/MrWhisp

Please try from console "strace -o errorlog.txt xmms" and then checkout the created debug file (errorlog.txt).

Also, if you have installed "gdb" the KDE crash handler will provide info on the popup window- just copypaste it here.

Edited by scarecrow

I got a lot of text in the error txt file. Here are the errors I found:

access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/locale-archive", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/home/dual/.xmms/config", 0xbffff28c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/usr/share/themes/Galaxy/gtk/gtkrc.en", 0xbffff18c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/usr/share/themes/Galaxy/gtk/gtkrc.en_US", 0xbffff18c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/etc/gtk/gtkrc.en", 0xbffff18c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
lstat64("/home/dual/.kde/share/config/gtkrc.en_US", 0xbffff18c) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
read(3, 0xbfffee30, 32)                 = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
open("/home/dual/.icons/wonderland/index.theme", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Do "lsmod" and see if the snd-pcm-oss emulation module is running. XMMS initializes by default the OSS output plugin.

You can change that by setting your repos and getting alternative output plugins for xmms:

urpmi xmms-alsa

(or xmms-arts, or xmms-jack or whatever supported output plugin you prefer).

Totem uses the xine engine (same as Kaffeine), nothing to do with xmms.

I'm puzzled as XMMS works fine here, even with just the OSS output plugin and none else installed- both with an onboard Intel 81X and an Echo Mia stereo soundcard.

Can you elaborate a little more and report the soundcard you are using? Any chance it is a recent Soundblaster?

Edited by scarecrow

Well, it's a built-in soundcard in a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop. The only info in the specs is Audio: VT1612

The funny thing is that I didn't had any problem when running MDK 10 and 10.1, and now when I run 10.2 it freezes.

I have one idea of what might cause the problem:

I have recently installed the ATI driver and uses dual screen mode, one internal laptop screen and an external LCD screen. This setting didn't work at all in KDE 3.2, but seem to work okay in 3.3.2. I have however experienced that some applications don't like dual monitor setting.

Example:

- The filemanager in Totem freezes the entire computer....

- When trying to change desktop backgrounds in Gnome the computer freezes...

Since xmms don't start at all, it might be a GUI problem....

In both examples above, and in the xmms case, the CPU is at 100% and the computer is really slow.

I won't argue it might be a GUI problem (I, for example, never activate the "composite" of my Nvidia FX 5200 video card as I have quite a few headaches after...), but please post your /home/user/.xmms/config file to see if something is odd (since it didn't work as root either, it shouldn't really be the case).

Since I have not been able to start xmms and the user I had is newly created, the .xmms folder only contains the empty folders Plugins and Skins, and no files exists.

I'd rather live with my dual screens than a single screen and working xmms, but these problems are a little bit annoying....