where to get official 2005LE iso images?

ffrr

I followed a link from http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/ftp.php3#le2005 to an Australian mirror (I am in Australia) and ended up in

ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Mandrak...devel/2005/i586

Firstly, I was surprised that this is a devel not official release and also the version file says it is "Mandrakelinux 10.2 Cooker-i586-Download 20050414 10:12" Is that the same thing?

Even if it is, where are the CD ISO images, or alternatively, how do I make the install CD's from what is in this ftp directory? Should I wait for an 'official' version?

(hope these aren't stupid question? :-))

The ISOs aren't yet publicly available.

If you look in /Mandrakelinux/official/2005 you'll find the frozen, offical 2005 as was released in the ISOs given to Club members. The version in /devel/2005 is currently pretty much the same, but they will diverge slightly in future - the tree in /devel can be updated with fixes or new updated packages, the tree in /official will be forever frozen and will have security updates provided in a separate directory under /updates .

You could try and make CDs from the stuff on the FTP sites but it's, well, a pain. It's much easier to do a network install. Drill down to the /images directory and grab boot.iso, write it to a CD, boot from it and tell it you want to do a network install. So long as you have a fairly simple network setup (wired network card which can get on the internet with no messy PPPoE / PPPoATM etc) everything will get taken care of from there.

If you want to try it, there's an FAQ.  :)

Hmmm, maybe that FAQ is out of date. One part of it says " edit the "hdlist" file in the "Mandrake/base" folder." and there does not appear to be any folder with that name (or if they meant the root of the tree, there's no hdlist file....)

:oops: