Iso install from Hard drive misses packages!

Guest rubberband

Guest rubberband

Gah.

So, I'm trying and failing to get 10.1 to install properly. The situation is as follows:

I have an old laptop w/ no internal cdrom drive and 10.1 no longer supports installing from an external USB drive. So, I copied the 3 iso images to a spare partition, created a grub boot disc, extracted the vmlinuz, etc to the root of the folder with the iso images in it and started up the installer, pointing it at the cd1 iso when prompted. All just like the documentation says.

Everything works, and the system installs an runs fine, until I go to build something. I then discover that half the packages I requested (like, oh, gcc and the kernel source) explicitly in the installation never get installed! It looks like the contents of disc 2 and 3 are ignored. Help!

I've tried this around 3 times, same result each time. This is seriously annoying. Having to install everything you need for development by hand? No thanks!

So, it looks like I'm stuck with extracting the iso's to a big directory tree and installing that way. Is there any way I can avaoid having to re-download the entire directory tree? Some of the paths (particularly in the "media" directory) are different between the decompressed iso's and the regular tree.

help?

I don't know about installing from isos. It used to be only the first iso could be used by the installer. Now, I see reports that Mandriva 2005 will successfully install from all the isos.

Using boot.iso to install from isos

You must check the md5sum of the downloaded isos. Here is an outline of how, for some years, I have installed from hard disk after extracting the isos. Should be no need to redownload if you have good isos on your disk:

Mandriva Hard Disk Install