DJ Software

xxbeanxx

Hey guys.

Can anyone tell me if the following software exists:

A set of PHP/CGI/Perl scripts that will allow me to create an "internet radio box" with the following requirements...

1) It plays INTERNET RADIO streams. I've found lots that can do playlists of locally stored MP3s, but I want internet radio.

2) Admin interface to add/delete these internet stations

3) Ability for users to log in to change the currently playing station

4) Volume control

5) Able to be cron'd (ie, start at 7am, stop at 5pm)

Here's what its for: for years we've had a radio in the dining hall of our university. The administrative staff of the hall had keys to the closet containing the radio and amplifier so they could turn on/off the radio or adjust the volume. Eventually we found that a) our local radio stations suck (we've only 4) B) the administrative staff don't have a clue how to operate a sophisticated amplification system.

So we want to either download or create a web-based interface that can give them access via the network. The staff can log in, click a drop down box to change station, and be happy.

Also, the staff complain that when they work nights, the radio is playing rock and they want country. So we want to be able to script the thing so at certian times, certian stations will play.

I have no problem writing this up myself, but if it's already been done then I'd use that.

I wrote a prototype at the beginning of last summer to use, and it was so popular that other people on campus want the same type of thing. My prototype is not very secure though (using setuid CGI) and has lots of problems. I was using perl and was making system calls to mplayer to play the stations. I would like to use the mplayer libs and API if I need to rewrite it.

Any suggestions?

::EDIT::

Thought I'd add this, since when I asked on IRC everyone misunderstood me.. I want to play other people's internet stations, not broadcast my own. I want to get a collection of stations from shoutcast and use the interface to switch between these. Also failed to mention that the computer would be interfaced with the amplifier via the computer's line out, which is self-evident, I guess.

Thanks again.

Edited by xxbeanxx

you could try DRACONi: http://www.draconidigital.com/da/#screen

you can use it to control xmms. i haven't tried it, but a google turned it up. since xmms is capable of the things you want, controlling it through the web is all you need...and both xmms and it can be cron'd i'm sure.