Tips&Tricks Possible fix for trashed EXT2 or 3 File S

aru

glenns530

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:13 pm Post subject: Possible fix for trashed EXT2 or 3 File System

I recently had problems rebooting my laptop after the battery died. All of of my partitions, except swap and /var use the ext3 file system. FSCK came up during the boot and was able to recover all but one partition from their journals.. My /home file system, which is a separate logical partition, could not be recovered with fsck .. When I ran fsck manually, I received the following message: "Attempt to read block from file system resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/hdaX" .. I tried several options without success.

Then I did a tune2fs -l /dev/hdaX ... Received the same error. This meant my primary superblock could not be located. I did some research on the net, and someone suggested a mke2fs -n /dev/hdaX .. The -n option will give you verbal information of what the mke2fs would do when it creates the file system, but would not create a new file system. I did this, and it gave me the blocks where it would store backups of the super block . I then ran a fsck -b ###### /dev/hdaX , where "#" is the block the back up is stored. I answered yes to all the prompts about if I was sure I wanted to repair an inode or direcory count, ect.. That did the trick I rebooted and so far I have not run into any corrupt or missing files..

Hope this helps anyone who may have this problem in the future..

Glenn

Very Happy

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).