IBM R51 on MKD10.1

Guest lformaggia

Guest lformaggia

Hi, I have a thinkpad R51 laptop and I am running MD10.1 official with the kernel shipped with the distributioon 2.6.8.1-12mdk (I have also tried 2.6.8.1.24, which works better)

I have installed configure-thinkpad and tpctl all right yet apparently tpctl require to access /dev/thinkpad, which should be created by a kernel module that I cannot find anyware in the distribution!!!

In the release notes of configure-thinkpad I have found a strange note by bgmilne:

Tue Dec 23 2003 Buchan Milne 0.1-1mdk

- First Mandrake package

- We need a better solution for the thinkpad device files ...

Any hint of where I can find the kernel module for the thinkpad device?

P.S. All the rest works fine, wireless included (if you use the 2.6.8.1.12 kernel you have to patch ipw2200)

Thank you.

Hi, I have a thinkpad R51 laptop and I am running MD10.1 official with the kernel shipped with the distributioon 2.6.8.1-12mdk (I have also tried 2.6.8.1.24, which works better)

I have installed configure-thinkpad and tpctl all right yet apparently tpctl require to access /dev/thinkpad, which should be created by a kernel module that I cannot find anyware in the distribution!!!

In the release notes of configure-thinkpad I have found a strange note by bgmilne:

Tue Dec 23 2003 Buchan Milne 0.1-1mdk

- First Mandrake package

- We need a better solution for the thinkpad device files ...

Any hint of where I can find the kernel module for the thinkpad device?

P.S. All the rest works fine, wireless included (if you use the 2.6.8.1.12 kernel you have to patch ipw2200)

Thank you.

I run 2.4.x kernel on T41. The thinkpad modules are in /lib/modules/2.4.22-26mdk/kernel/3rdparty/thinkpad/. I also have these lines in /etc/modules

smapi
thinkpadpm
thinkpad

and also, in /etc/modules.conf

#Added by configure-thinkpad to autoload thinkpad drivers
#path[thinkpad]=/lib/modules/2.4.22-26mdk/thinkpad
#options thinkpad enable_smapi=1 enable_superio=1 enable_rtcmosram=1 enable_thinkpadpm=1
alias char-major-10-170 thinkpad
alias /dev/thinkpad thinkpad
alias /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad thinkpad
alias /dev/thinkpad/smapi smapi
alias /dev/thinkpad/superio superio
alias /dev/thinkpad/rtcmosram rtcmosram
alias /dev/thinkpad/thinkpadpm thinkpadpm

The modules loaded (according to lsmod), though frankly I did not notice any advantage from using them. If somebody can tell what are they suppose to do, I would be glad to know...

Edited by coverup