Usb 1.1 on Mandrake 10.1

Guest sopelanaweb

Guest sopelanaweb

Hi,

I've upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 and now I can't mount any usb device. I have no message when i try to do it...

I have no /dev/sd? device on my machine. If I boot it up with a linux live cd, it works with no problem (the same with my 'old' Mandrake 9.2)

Some commands on my computer:

# lsmod | grep usb -i

usbhid 41088 0

usb-storage 65504 2

scsi_mod 104044 3 sg,sd_mod,usb-storage

usbcore 103172 6 usbhid,usb-storage,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd

# cat /etc/fstab | grep sda

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0

# lspci | grep usb -i

00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0

00:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)

00:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)

00:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 62)

# 'a small part of /etc/lilo.conf'

default="linux"

boot=/dev/hda9

map=/boot/map

keytable=/boot/es-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda9

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

Here you have the log of /var/log/messages

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 256000

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 256000

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: p1

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Mar 30 23:02:45 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3

Mar 30 23:02:49 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 4

Mar 30 23:02:50 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71

Mar 30 23:02:50 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 5

Mar 30 23:02:50 localhost kernel: usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71

Mar 30 23:03:08 localhost perl: drakupdate_fstab called with --auto --del /dev/sda1

I've tried again with Knoppix and SysRescueCd and it works with no problem.

I've tried with a new 2.0 usb key a friend of mine has left me and... it work's correctly. After pluggin this key, I've tried with my 1.1 usb key and it doesn't work.

I don't know if it's due to the kernel i have:

#uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.8.1-10mdk #1 Wed Sep 8 17:00:52 CEST 2004 i686 Pentium III (Katmai) unknown GNU/Linux

Is it possible that the kernel is compiled with no usb 1.1 support ? Must i recompile it again (and where is the usb 1.1 support) ? Is it possible to load a module of usb 1.1 (instead of compiling the kernel) ?

Thanks for your comments,

rodogh

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

No, that's not it. Definitely updating your kernel is a good idea - the latest one for 10.1 is 2.6.8.1-24mdk. Get it from an official mirror. However, the problem may well just be a hardware issue. Run the boot config tool and choose the option to disable APIC, then reboot the machine and see if it helps. Let us know!

Guest sopelanaweb

Hi,

I've downloaded 2.6.8.1-24mdk kernel and the result is the same. It's not a hardware issue couse i've tested it in a linux live cd and it works perfectly.

I've realised that it wasnt loaded the ohci-hcd module into memory. I've loaded with no possitive result

# lsmod | grep hci

ohci1394 30788 0

ieee1394 292056 2 eth1394,ohci1394

ohci-hcd 18468 0

ehci-hcd 26244 0

uhci-hcd 28752 0

usbcore 103172 8 usb-storage,usbhid,ohci-hcd,usblp,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd

I'll keep on trying...

Guest sopelanaweb

I've tried to disable the ACPI option in my bios, but i don't find it. My bios is in spanish and I think ACPI is something related to Power Management, but I don't know what...

Guest sopelanaweb

Hi adamw,

thank you very much for your comments. Before you posted your message i realised that it was APIC (not ACPI) what i had to look for.

I've tested it and it doens't work. I've tested it with several options in the lilo.conf file. Are these:

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda9

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="noapic devfs=nomount acpi=ht splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-10mdk

label="2681-10-rag-1"

root=/dev/hda9

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-10mdk.img

append="noapic devfs=nomount pci=noacpi splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

label="2681-10-rag-2"

root=/dev/hda9

append="noapic devfs=nomount acpi=off splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

label="2681-10-rag-3"

root=/dev/hda9

append="noapic devfs=nomount pci=bios,biosirq splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-24mdk

label="2681-24"

root=/dev/hda9

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-24mdk.img

vga=788

read-only

I've changed it in the the MDK Control Center and also by hand. Do you know if i'm doing something wrong ? Thanks in advance...

Guest sopelanaweb

I've tested it with noapic and the computer starts but the usb key doesn't run (there is no /dev/sda when i plug it):

append="noapic devfs=nomount acpi=ht"

append="noapic devfs=nomount pci=noacpi splash=silent"

append="noapic devfs=nomount acpi=off splash=silent"

append="noapic devfs=nomount pci=bios,biosirq splash=silent"

I've also tested it with no local apic, but the computer doesn't start:

append="nolapic devfs=nomount acpi=ht splash=silent"

append="nolapic devfs=nomount acpi=ht"

append="nolapic devfs=nomount pci=noacpi splash=silent"

append="nolapic devfs=nomount acpi=off splash=silent"

append="nolapic devfs=nomount pci=bios,biosirq splash=silent"

Guest sopelanaweb

Hi again,

I'm back with my problems. These are the thing i've done all these days:

1) Test with multimedia kernel and mixed with noapic and / or nolapic:

kernel.-2.6.7-1.mm.7mdk

2) update Mandrake's rpm

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/mandra...i586/media/main synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia updates ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributi....1/main_updates media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake...6/media/contrib

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.cica.es/mirrors/Linux/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.1 hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.cica.es/mirrors/Linux/plf/mandrake/free/10.1 hdlist.cz

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select --media main,updates,plf-free,plf-nonfree,contrib

After doing 2) point, i have the sensation 'something' has happend, cause when i plug my usb key, the /dev/sda device is created... but NOT the /dev/sda1.

Is there anything i can do ? I'm thinking about giving up !!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sauro
Hi,

I've upgraded to Mandrake 10.1 and now I can't mount any usb device. I have no message when i try to do it...

I have no /dev/sd? device on my machine. If I boot it up with a linux live cd, it works with no problem (the same with my 'old' Mandrake 9.2)

Some commands on my computer:

(...)

Thanks for your comments,

rodogh

Until a short while ago, I had a similar problem for accessing a Pendisk, when I upgraded from Mdke 9.2 to Mdke 10.x.

I still had no oportunity to find out the technical explanations, but my problem disappeared when I stopped insisting on mounting /dev/sdaX and started mount directly /dev/sda!

Now everything works fine, both with Mdke Supermount and with normal mounting. Note that the kernel version I am using is 2.6.

ACPI is a power management and hardware monitoring standard for PCs which is often implemented in a non-standard or broken way by manufacturers; the Linux kernel can handle proper, standards-compliant ACPI implementations fine, but broken ones can cause hardware problems.

APIC is the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller, which basically allocates interrupts and other low-level system functions to hardware dynamically (on demand). It's a neat whizzy idea which in practice has little in the way of concrete benefits (though multi-processor systems need it to work properly) and tends to break a lot. Personally I'd rather it were disabled by default for all but multi-processor machines, and there's a discussion starting about this in Bugzilla / Cooker mailing list at the moment. People _say_ some single-CPU machines need APIC enabled to work properly, but I've never met one.