cd gets requested/rejected/requested

ChrisM

During a software install, what might cause a disc to be requested, and when provided, is rejected and asked for again.

I have noticed a couple times that this has happened (2 different boxes) so perhaps its a faulty disc? However, that said, fresh installs have been made (mandrake 10.1).

The most recent episode was trying to install Xpdf using my 4 discs as sources. MCC would ask for disc 2, I'd put it in the tray, and after a few seconds, it would be ejected with a request to insert disc2 - this cycle continues.

I have installed Xpdf using urpmi -but I wonder if anyone might suggest whats happenening with the install disc?

The disc was recently bought from a well recognised provider of budget cost Linux software - but like I say, fresh installs seem OK.

Edited by ChrisM

i had this issue before too. it's likely to be a faulty disk. try burning a new copy. also check the setup of t he cd sources and make sure they are pointing to the right mount point.

My fear is that the disc is faulty - I've checked the CD sources set up and mount points and everything looks OK.

I'll try adamw's suggestion just to make sure its not my Drive, but I guess I'll end up burning a copy of disc2 - unless the online store is happy to exchange.

I Installed a different CD Drive - then I removed my already pre installed Xpdf and again tried to reinstall it through my disc sources - same problem - just keeps asking for the CD thats already in the drive. I guess its a dodgy disc. Ah well, thank goodness for urpmi.

Thanks for the earlier feedback guys.

:D

actually reading your post makes more sense this morning - it was a long day yesterday.

Anyway, 3 cheers for the online store - I sent them an email yesterday and they are replacing the faulty disc for me.

:beer::beer::beer:

My replacement disc 2 arrived this morning - and everything is now tikkityboo.  Great service.

Give them a plug if their service is that good :P

Yay!

After my posts here on Wednesday night, I sent them an email to see if disc2 could be replaced (I'd bought the original discs a few weeks ago). An email arrived at my Inbox Thursday morning immediately confirming a replacement would be sent out. Friday morning - disc2 was delivered by the postie. Thanx to these guys. :thumbs: