FC3 post-install questions

You need Acrobat 7 to view pdf forms. kpdf has improved a hell of a lot, but still it's not suitable for the job.

Your Linux experiment will improve dramatically as soon as you drop crippo Fedora.

Crippo Fedora? By that I would take it that you don't have a clue what your talking about.

Null, if you want to build adobe 7 for fc3, follow this.

http://fedoranews.org/blog/?p=487

I will say this, I think fc3 can be easy for people but i wouldn't put it in the noobie category, its more for powerusers and those that want to be on the extreme edge of Linux Power.

Null, if you want to build adobe 7 for fc3, follow this.

http://fedoranews.org/blog/?p=487

thanks, actually I had already been to that page previously, although I haven't done anything yet. I didn't think the newest version 7 of acrobat was required just to view pdf files. I wonder why I could view them just fine with fc2 before I installed fc3? So far, what few distros I have tried, I liked FC2 the best. My probs with fc3 are mostly mine probably. However, I am getting too old to enjoy screwing with stuff I expect to work out of the box. That's why I may try something more "already working" than FC is. Besides, if I install the newest mandriva, the bosses here will let me post in other forums, instead of always banishing me to Other Linux Distros....

Guest Adriano1
... I gather that mp3 works out of the box with mandriva. What about the other stuff - like pdf support and stuff? And I've been using gnome for the past year, so I'm not that familiar with kde - can I use gnome with mandriva? I've never used urpmi|easy urpmi - I hope its better than yum or apt - which I kind of like. Lastly, I like firefox - don't want to use Konq - so hopefully there arent any problems there when using mandriva.

PDF, MP3 and most everything works out-of-the-box. The thing you do have to download from contrib or PLF is libdvdcss to watch dvds on linux.

As for yum and apt: I believe apt to be superior, but more because of the superior quality and breadth of repositories than for the programs themselves. Still, I could be wrong.

For the last: I use gnome 2.8 on Mandriva 2005, and firefox is the default browser. It works quite well.

guess I'll give mandriva 2005 a try. I'll buy it somewhere if its available off the shelf.

edit: looks like it may not be available on the shelf. I just read a review of mandriva 2005, and it definately sounds good. However, now I am thinking of making my secondary machine (win2k) a dual-boot with mandriva 2005 (and keeping my main machine an FC box).

In the past couple days, my new FC3 install has been working nicely. Here's a couple of my initial complaints about FC3 in this forum:

So I headed over to FedoraFAQ and read about how I should run #yum --enablerepo=dag install mozilla-acroread (as long as I am using their yum.conf (I am). I did that, and it all said Sucessful...

However, the financial sites STILL say that I need adobe acrobat to view my statements online. I was viewing .pdf files just fine when I had FC2.

Now I find that I am able to view pdf files OK on other sites however. Maybe the problem is just on that one particular site.

So I got back into k3b, and now even though I drag & drop a .wav file into my compilation (lets say a 5 minute song) k3b will display it as a "MPEG1 LAYER 1" file and show it as 4 seconds long. wtf??

This may have been a problem with those particular mp3s. I have since dragged & dropped other mp3 files into k3b compilations, and it works fine.

So I guess I will keep fc3 for the time being, until I decide to go to fc4. Apologies to cybrjackle for my previous grouchiness about fc3 problems - which probably weren't fc3 problems at all. As I said before, in my short history with linux, FC has been my favorite. However, I still would like to try out a distro where Everything Works out of the box, so thats why I think I'll give mandriva 2005 a try, as a dual-boot on my other machine.

thanks!!

Edited by null