Can't install 10.0 to external HD

Guest antcodd

Guest antcodd

I want to install mandrake linux 10.0 to my 120gb external HD, but am having problems

I have followed all the information I can find on this and other forums, but to no avail. When I try to install to the external HD, and do custom partitioning, I use the customing partitioning, It all works fine and the partitions already there are detected correctly, then once i click ok and get to the formating page, the installer suddenly decides they are all ext2:vfat(except the partition on the internal HD) when I clcik back it suddenly decides there are no existing partitions and there is free space, in the custom partitioning window, it shows all the partitions as ext2:vfat,. I then did a hard reset and started the installer again, and found the partitions are the same as they are supposed to be.

I know that diskdrake doesnt like external HDs so I partitioned it with a different partition manager(Bootit NG and the Mandrakemove diskdrake to format the EXT3). It is as follows

100gb NTFS

1gb FAT32

768mb swap

10gb EXT3

still the same problem, I go into the custom partition screen, and set the mount points, and sure enough when I get to the formating screen - same problem all ext2:vfat.

I then tried 'use existing partitions' but even that(which shouldnt modify the partition table) causes the installer to think they are ext2:vfat.

I then choose to continue without formating and I get this error:

getAndSaveFile(/mnt/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz. No space left on device.

I assume this is the installer trying to copy the package list to the hard disk which it thinks is ext2:vfat but finds it is 'corrupt' and does the no free space error.

All the information I have seen says to 'use existing partitions' to correct this error, but in my case this doesnt work.

My BOIS can boot the drive so presumably once I am able to install it I just install LILO to the MBR of the external HD. And if that doesnt work I know of several places with soloutions to this.

I have managed to install 9.2 to the same HD a few years back, but it wouldnt boot(I know how to fix that now) so I am not sure what is wrong.

I am fairly new to linux(about 3 months experience) so please tell me exactly what to do.

I also have mandrakemove, if that is any help for doing things that need linux.(came as a cheap set with cd1.cd2.cd3 and mandrakemove)

I know there a 50 000 posts about this kind of thing(and solutions) already, all over the internet but no-one seems to have the problem even when you choose 'use existing partitions'

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 8500(laptop)

BIOS revision A06

geforce 4 4200 go

samsung sn324b CDRW/DVD combo drive

512mb ram

DSE 3.5" external Hard drive enclosure with 120gb 7200rpm Western Digital HD

PS: I am fairly new to linux(about 3 months experience) so please tell me exactly what to do. I am very good at following instructions, however.