Tips&Tricks Generating characters with accents using

aru

gmleuty

Frequent user

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:30 pm Post subject: Generating characters with accents using the UK keyboard

I sometimes want to type in French with my UK keyboard, but I don't want to map the whole keyboard to the French layout as I get foxed by AZERTY. I have found two ways of producing characters like à é î ö ñ and ç.

(1) Use Mandrake Control Centre to switch to US (International) keyboard layout. This has "dead keys" built in, so that ' followed by e gives é, ` followed by e gives è, ^ followed by e gives ê, @ followed by e gives ë (this is because the " symbol on the American keyboard is on the @ key in the UK keyboard). Under this system ' followed by c gives ç.

(2) Keep the UK keyboard layout and use the Compose key, which is the right "Windows" key on my keyboard under Mandrake 8.2: <compose> ' e gives é and so on. For ç the sequence is <compose> , c and not <compose> ' c. For the "tilde" it is of coure <compose> ~ n to give ñ.

Mike

ramfree17

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:44 pm Post subject:

original thread is here which i have locked so all comments (and hopefully additional tricks n tips) will fall here.

ciao!

illogic-al

Senior user

Post Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:34 pm Post subject:

nícè tip. I was always wondering how to do that. Now I can write protegé the way it was meant to be written.

I enabled dead keys with the KDE Control Center though. Went to Peripherals > Keyboard. Then I selected Enable Keyboard Layouts and chose US w/deadkeys as the Primary Layout.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).