Printing to a Linux mounted printer

riseringseeker

I have a HP PSC2175 all-in-one printer connected via USB to a desktop computer that dual boots between MDK 10.1 official and XP Pro. The printer works great from the desktop under Linux, though I have been unable to set it up to scan in 10.1. I had it scanning under 10.0, but getting it to scan under MDK 10.1 is a subject for a different thread. :)

I also have a HP laptop that dual boots between 10.1 and XP Home. I rarely use the windows partition on either computer, but unfortunately, the company I work for has a web site that *requires* I.E. to access fully, and they refuse to change it. (People with MACs also have some problems - even *with* I.E.) I can do quite a bit with Konqueror "faking" as I.E., but not everything - I tried cross-over but I screwed something up, ended up deleting it, but may try it again at some point.

I have looked through this, and other forums trying to find help in what I want to do, but it seems that almost all of the posts I've read are trying to get help in getting a Linux box to print to a Windows box/printer. I want to do exactly the opposite, I want to be able to boot to windoze on the laptop and print to the desktop computer as it's running Linux.

I have it set up right now that if both are booted to Windoze, it'll print just fine (did this more or less as a learning experience, and don't intend to do that much, if at all).

I have Samba installed on the desktop, and I am able to see the MDKGROUP, the LOCALHOST, and even the PSC2175 printer under windoze. The problem I am running into is when I go to install this printer under windows as a network printer, it tells me I have to install a driver for it.

The choices on the windoze "Add a printer wizard" does not list a driver for my printer. I have the installation disk for the 2175, but cannot seem to find a file that windoze likes as a driver.

I am under the perhaps mistaken impression that I should be able to use the printer as is, via CUPS, and not have to install a separate driver for it, but cannot figure out how. The windows drivers do exist on both the laptop and the desktop. Plugging the printer into a laptop USB port automatically sets up the printerr under windows (without putting the install disk in), and when I installed the printer as a network device under windows->windows, it got the driver from (I'm assuming) the desktop.

I really don't care if I install the driver again under windoze, if I could just find it, or if I can set CUPS up so a driver is not needed, I just want to be able to do my thing on the company web site on the laptop, and print from it to the desktop while it runs Mandrake.

If anyone can tell me where to find a driver that windoze likes, or how to configure CUPS to use the printer "as is", I would very much appreciate it.

Edited by Qchem

Go to the hp site to get the driver and follow their instructions to install on Win. I print from a Win2000 system to one of my linux systems with no problem. You need the driver as you are sending the data to the Linux print spool.

I had gone to the HP site, I just didn't poke around enough. There is apparently no way I can install the driver for the 2175 that I could see, *but* they had a suggestion for an alternate driver to use. In this case, the driver for a Deskjet 550C printer. This was in the "Printer wizard" list in windoze and after installation, fired up wordpad, and printed.

Problem solved.

Now if I could figure out how to flag this thread "resolved" before I start another thread about getting the thing to scan...

Edited by riseringseeker