Tips&Tricks Partitoning for XP before Installing Linux

aru

Bluebeard

Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:22 pm Post subject: Partitoning for XP before Installing Linux

Partitoning windows NTFS and Fat 32 hints from Alex Aitken at alt.os.linux.mandrake.

" XP Pro can swing both ways too. I use NTFS for C: drive and FAT32 for D: and E: to keep compatibility with Win98 which I need for a couple of things that dont work in WinXP and never will (my MP3 player upload software). In fact if I recall even Win2k can happily run under FAT32. The only reason I run NTFS on my C: drive is so that Win98 doesnt see it because that would mean two primary partitions which Win98 wouldnt like.

I never understand why people dont partition their drive like I do, C: drive for the OS and D: drive for most games and programs. Its especially useful for dual-boot as it lets me use a single copy of a

game between both WinXP and Win98, even those that need registry settings can be install over the top of the existing version so that it installs the registry data and then still you are only using the one copy instead of wasting space on two copies. A lot of applications will happily run this way too, Netscape being one of them (though sharing the profile isnt as easy as it used to be).

Rule of thumb, always at LEAST have a FAT32 D: drive that you can use for general storage that almost ANY OS will be able to read/write to. I use D: drive to reinstall Win98 for instance as its much quicker than using the CD plus it means whenever it wants the Win98 CD is automatically finds the files on D: drive so I never actually need the Wni98 CD, I dont even remember the last time I saw it.

Alex Aitken"

Bluebeard.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).