Mini ISO Question + Installation help (newbie)

Guest schiller

Guest schiller

I am new to Linux and its operating principles, RPMs and stuff like that but wanted to have a dabble. Thinking that a 2Gig download was a little extream and probably bundled software i have no requirement for i decided to try the mini ISO of Mandrake but i have probably misunderstood its target audience (it diesnt seem to have a xWindows system).

What is the purpose of the mini CD?

What is the least i have to download to get a fully working version of 10.x without having to download the thousands of software titles some of the other ISOs seem to e bundled with?

I will have missed something major along the way so i would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

the mini ISO is meant for a) extremely minimalist systems or, mostly, b) getting a base installation so you can pick and choose *exactly* what else to install, for users who want a very small, streamlined distro.

You can install and get a vaguely working distro from just the first full CD. I'd really, really recommend getting at least the first two, though. Lots of the extra stuff in Linux is useful or neat stuff that you'll want to use, and it's much easier than installing it all later on.

Guest schiller

Thanks adamw.

I downloaded the dvd yesterday thinking that it would be more convient than having cds all over the place.

Tried installing but there is an error (second stage) something to do with the ram disk/read error or kernel error. Tried the option for the older kernel but same problem.

Thoght i might be able to use the dvd to install supplementary apps but that doesnt work either, looks like i will be downloading the cds after all :rolleyes: