Package Installation from DVD

Guest Englischdude

Guest Englischdude

Hi All,

I am a Mandrake Newbie, the main installation went very well and I am really starting to feel my way around this system. My biggest problem at the moment is that I want to install further packages from the dvd. I go to the package install manager and select the packages I need, click on install now....... and the cdrom drive opens as default and not the dvd! How do I tell this system which drive to use as default for package installation from the DVD. I am using Mandrake 10.1 community.

Thanks in advance for your help.... this is really driving me nuts!

Regards

Englischdude

topic description edited by anon

I had a similar problem a long time ago, and I had a very effective, but round-a-bout way of fixing it. The way to fix it without actualy doing anything with linux, is to open up the case for your your computer, switch the drives so that the dvd is primary and cd is secondary.

I'm sure there is a software way to do it, but I'm a hardware guy, If I can fix it by monkeying insside my computer, I will.

lol @ VeeDubb

Go to Mandrake Control Center -> Software Management -> Media Manager

and highlight each source and click 'Edit'

Check your path

If you see /mnt/cdrom, change it to /mnt/cdrom2 (or the correct mountpoint).

I hope this helps...I'm not used to doing things the gui way, let me know if you need clarification or if I pointed you in the wrong direction.