Mandrake 10.1 hangs on boot

Guest FarhanMUB

Guest FarhanMUB

Hi,

I just installed version 10.1 yesterday and also have a boot problem. I have Windows 2000 on my HP Omnibook 6100.

I use the LILO boot loader and have the the options:

Windows

Linux

Linux-nonfb

Failsafe

If I choose Windows, everything is fine.

If I choose Linux, it just hangs

If I choose the last two, I get these last few lines just before it stops and lets the cursor blink:

ACPI : IRQ95CI : Ede set to Level Trigger.

ACPI - 0812 : *** : The ACPI AML in your computer contains error, please nag the manufacturer to correct it.

ACPI - 0812 : *** : Allowing relaxed access to fields ; turn on CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG for details

1) Where can I go to turn on CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG?

2) Is there something else that I need to do?

Thankyou

Edited by FarhanMUB

Welcome to the board.

It looks as though there may be some issues with ACPI (power management functionality) on your notebook. I believe that CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is a kernel setting and it would be nice to avoid it for the time being.

What are your settings for your LILO entries? we are looking for something along the lines of ACPI=on that we can switch to ACPI=off just to stop it attempting to start it.

I am sure that others will have comments to make on this as well so hang on in there...

Leo

Try this. As soon as you see the lilo selection screen, hit the Esc key which should take you to a boot prompt. At the prompt type:

linux noapic,nolapic

and hit the Enter key. See if it boots.

Note, linux and unix are case sensitive. In your lilo selection screen printout you indicated the boot selection is "Linux" not "linux". Normally, mandrake sets everything to lowercase in this screen which is why I used "linux" and not "Linux" in the above code at the boot prompt. If that's not the case, change it to "Linux".

Guest FarhanMUB

Hello,

I managed to solve the problem. I went looking for the option to disable the ACPI and there was the option to enable the ACPI in the setup summary section under bootloader so I just unticked it.

I also tried to use noapic,nolapic at first, but it didn't work.

Thanks again