Tips&Tricks Make OpenOffice.org's UI Look Great

aru

pantropik

Frequent user

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:33 pm Post subject: Make OpenOffice.org's UI Look Great

If you're using a bytecode-enabled freetype (such as Ranger's or Texstar's), you probably noticed what a HUGE improvement it made to the default look of your system -- well, after a bit of tweaking, anyway.

You probably also noticed that OpenOffice.org was still incredibly ugly. The actual text used in your document might look nice, but the user interface elements (dialog boxes, menus, the navigator and style list, etc) still look awful -- jagged and almost unreadable on my laptop.

To fix it, fire up OO.o. Now click Tools -> Options -> Select OpenOffice.org in the tree view of the dialog that pops up. Under OO.o, select Font Replacement.

Next, click the box next to "Apply Replacement Table". In the Font pull-down box, manually type in "Andale Sans UI" (minus the quotes, of course). You can NOT select this font in the box, it's not there and must be entered manually. Next, pick a replacement font in the "Replace With" drop-down box. I suggest Helvetica (it looks great for me) but you should experiment til you get a look you like. Just click the checkmark by the "Replace With" box. Then, down beneath, make sure you've checked "Always" and "Screen". Click OK and see what the new user interface looks like. Repeat these steps until you find a font that doesn't look awful (though almost anything is an improvement over Andale Sans, IMNSHO).

In my case this made a HUGE difference. On my laptop, OO.o was so ugly I didn't even want to use it, until I stumbled across this.

Thrawn

Post Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:40 am Post subject:

Is there any way to make the replaced font be anti-aliased?

Maciek

Frequent user

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:07 pm Post subject:

Yes, for example use a TrueType font. One way to find out if your favourite font is TT is to open a font dialog (eg. in KDE Control Centre) and choose a font with (Xft) next to it, but then again, it may differ from system to system.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).