Dothan (Pentium M) and speedstep

Guest newhere33

Guest newhere33

As I got it after long browsing the 10.1 does not recognize all Dothan pentium M versions and can not scale it

I bought Toshiba A50 exactly for power saving and quet long battary life. Can I update 10.1 using binary packages to support cpufreq and speedstep-centrino. So far they are not loaded.

Thanks for help!

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I am running 9.2, kernel 2.4 and apm, by the routine for 10.1 and acpi is not very different, although acpi offers more versitile tools for power management.

Make sure that one of the power management daemons (apmd or acpid) is running. As root, type

# service apmd status
apmd (pid 1903) is running...

If not, start it with

# service apmd start
or
# service acpid start

To make one of those daemons start on boot, go to Mandrake Control Centre-> System->Services and check the start on boot box.

Download cpufreq mandrake RPM if it's not on the CD, and install it with urpmi/rpmdrake. Load the speedstep-centrino module: as root, run

# modprobe speedstep-centrino

Again, you can make it load on boot by adding speedstep-centrino to /etc/modules.

Now start cpufreq daemon

# service cpufreqd start

Before you do this, you may need to edit /etc/cpufreqd.conf to suit your needs. Now when you unplug the power cord, the frequency should fall to about 33% of the max frequency, and when you plug it back, the frequency will jump up to 100%. ACPI may offer more flexibility, but I don't know that stuff well.

I also had this problem. When the laptop ran an AC power, cpufreq kept the frequency at max, and the laptop was turning quite hot. To fix this, I installed cpudyn. This utility monitors the frequency and scales it up when the CPU load is high, the rest of the time, it keeps the frequency at lowest level. The laptop no longer overheats.