Tips&Tricks Think twice?

aru

michael

Frequent user

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:44 pm Post subject: Think twice?

Hi ladies & gentleman!

I you got email from someone never open in your computer,I`m going to library and open up there.There you will never get viruses,I never had a virus. Smile

But I never get hacked into my computer. What I find out four months ago do not connect 24 hrs. into internet.That`s what happen with one guy Abbortsford B.C Canada.So stay away 24 hrs connectd in internet. Then your will be very Very Happy

DOlson

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:10 pm Post subject:

Yeah, good advice.

Of course, you could just run Linux on your computer and never worry anyhow. And you will be very Very Happy for sure.

DragonMage

Senior user

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:06 am Post subject:

Heh, tell me about it.. It seems that the internet is getting more dangerous everyday.

Just connected to the iinternet after almost a week of no dialup (the ISP is on the fritz). Since I just played NWN at the time, I said to myself.. let's try whether the ISP works today. It works but after downloading around 200 emails, I found out that 5 of them are infected with a virus (thank goodness for antivirus software with email checking). Never even have this problem when I am checking my email in linux. (heck, didn't even know whether those email are infected or not.. just delete them when it doens't make sense).

So here's to running linux on desktop. If the frequency of email virus is similar to what I just experienced, mandrake 8.2 just save me around.. oh.. 120 days worth of virus Smile

Glitz

Senior user

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:16 pm Post subject:

You can also turn your computer off at night when you don't use it and save lots of electricity.

I think that if most people used some common sense, then even windows viruses wouldn't be so bad. We get virus alerts regularly at my university (aprox. once every 2-3 months). I know I get lots of infected email (when you get 20 copies of the same email then you know something is not kosher). But you know, that delete key works great. And shift-del works even better (no need to clean out the trash can too). I haven't been infected with any of these viruses (using win98 and outlook express). It's the morons that download their email, find an interesting one from Timbucktwo (Sp?) and decide to be adventurous and open it (even if they've been told beforehand not to open the specific file).

User: "You know that email you told us not to open, well I opened it. Can you fix my machine?"

One day later...

User: "You know that email you told us not to open, well I opened it again. Can you fix my machine again...please?"

BTW, The above dialog is a true case (and the user wasn't me).

And the power button on my machine still works fine, even though I turn it off every time I leave. Nope, it hasn't worn out yet Wink

As for crackers, a good firewall helps a lot too.

The moral of the story...if the people that only use their computers for email, wordprocessing, and games (95% of everyone) would not open strange emails from Timbucktwo (SP?), would turn off their machines when not using them (esp. at night) and possibly would use a half decent firewall, there would be a lot less viruses flying around out there, and a lot less brownouts (just kidding about the brownouts Wink ). Of course, the downside would be a lot of unemployed programmers from virus software companies. So maybe viruses have a good side too Wink

Glitz.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).