Where is Samba? [solved]

Guest pcssbb

Guest pcssbb

I have been using various Linux distros for years(mostly RH) and know a thing or 2 about SAMBA. My problem is that I can't find a SAMBA gui in mandrake 10.1. I do have something called Smb4k but it will not start. Is this the SAMBA GUI interface? I did the SAMBA config 10 years ago by editing the text files? Please don't tell me I have to go back and do it that way. Even RH9 as old as it is had a GUI. If that is the way it is the so be it but I heard that Mandrake was suppossed to be easier to deal with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been using various Linux distros for years(mostly RH) and know a thing or 2 about SAMBA.  My problem is that I can't find a SAMBA gui in mandrake 10.1.  I do have something called Smb4k but it will not start.  Is this the SAMBA GUI interface?  I did the SAMBA config 10 years ago by editing the text files?  Please don't tell me I have to go back and do it that way.  Even RH9 as old as it is had a GUI.  If that is the way it is the so be it but I heard that Mandrake was suppossed to be easier to deal with.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

try LinNeighborhood

the graphical front end for samba ..don't find it ? install it .

Guest pcssbb

Thanks everyone. Turns out Smb4k was starting afterall. It was just starting minimized. I just wanted to connect to shares on another system and this app did the trick. It will just take a bit of time for me to get used to a new set of tools and terminology but Mandrake is definitely growing on me.

Yep, there's several ways to do it :). Using smb4k, LinNeighbourhood or smb:// (on KDE or GNOME, they both do it) is a bit like using Network Neighbourhood. Linux also has an equivalent of Windows' 'Map Network Drive', which makes the remote share appear to be part of the local machine, and this is what the Samba Mount Points tool within Mandrake Control Center will help you do. Choose whichever method is most appropriate for your use (if you only want to access shares occasionally, they're not always present, and you access lots of different ones, the Network Neighbourhood-style tools make most sense; if you only access one or two shares, you use them all the time, and they're always available, mounting it as if it were part of your system makes more sense).