Custom Kernel Problem

Guest Staats

Guest Staats

I've been using Linux for awhile now, and have decided to compile a custom kernel to get some wireless drivers working / learn.

Anyway, I configure it with xconfig and get it to compile using the mandrake 10.0 kernel source,run make install, get the modules to compile, run make modules_install... everything seems to install correctly, just like it said on all the references I checked.

When I boot, however, things do not go as planned. I get a bunch of errors that hardware has been removed (floppy, cd-rom, mouse, etc.) I can get KDE up and running, but it's like every nonessential piece of hardware is gone. Booting back into a standard Mandrake 10.0 kernel has me re-adding hardware - and everything works as normal except I can't read my NTFS drive anymore.

So my questions are as follows:

1.) What could I have done to mess up NTFS reading in the standard kernel? I shouldn't have altered the modules for it, or the kernel, since the modules I compiled go to a different directory. This seems very odd.

2.) It feels like I'm missing something obvious with the hardware. Should I include more stuff directly into the kernel as opposed to a modules? Currently I put most stuff as modules, but even things like the mouse that are directly compiled in don't work (thought I'm using a USB mouse, if that helps.)

Thanks for help in advance!

To start with, and while you dont know what a lot of things are, compile them into the kernel and not as modules.

For mouse and stuff you will need usb human interface devices and the appropriate drivers.

if you have usb1 you will need uhci or ohci, find out which one with lspci, and ig you have usb2, you need ehci.

ntfs is located in the filesystem area, and to keep it simple compile it in.

sound, use Alsa, find the driver you are using that works and compile it in.

Later on when you know a bit more, compile as modules

Guest Staats

Alright, I tried, that and got mostly the same results (CD-ROM now works.) Here's the weird module error I managed to glean from the startup :invalid module format.

From what I've been able to google, this has something to do with *.o and *.ko not being compatible from 2.4 to 2.6... or something like that. A compatibility issue, to be sure.

Where could I have gone wrong to make incompatible modules? I'm compiling 10.0 on a 10.0, so I'd assume gcc and such were the proper version. This really has me stumped: I've yet to see anyone have such odd problems on what should be a no brainer task.

Thanks in advance.