Problems with password

Guest RBL134

Guest RBL134

i installed Mandrake 10.1 everything went ok I didn't set up any users or passwords becasue im the onlyone useing this computer but when it starts up i get a screen that says Password:, Session type: KDE (selected) i have no password but i cant login without one please help

It will probably be whatever the default root password is for mandrake - no idea what that is I'm afraid... Have you tried an empty password?

Are you sure you didn't enter a password during install? I'm sure I remember mdk asking for one...

When you do get this sorted (don't worry - you will) add another user, it's not a good idea to do everything as root. It's less secure and it's easier to break your system - especially if you don't know what you're doing...

Guest RBL134

I've tried an empty password but the screen just shakes im sure i didn't enter in a password and if i did i know what it would be i entered it with caps on and off and tried different variations is there a way i can add a new user without reinstalling

I've tried an empty password but the screen just shakes im sure i didn't enter in a password and if i did i know what it would be i entered it with caps on and off and tried different variations is there a way i can add a new user without reinstalling

boot into single user mode and reset the root password

if you don't know how an easy way is to restart the install and use f2 or f1 i forget for other options

then type "linux single "

If you are using LILO, specify one of these options at the LILO boot prompt (if you are using the graphical LILO, you must press [Ctrl]-[x] to exit the graphical screen and go to the boot: prompt):

boot: linux single

boot: linux emergency

Edited by ddmcse