3 hard disks, logical volume, Fedora 3 dual boot

ffrr

OK, this is a little complicated to explain, but...

I had a system with 2 hard disks and a cdrom, and a dvd recorder, running Fedora 3

hda is 4GB, hdb is 15GB

(hda, hdb grouped as logical volumes automatically by Fedora 3 install)

hdc is the dvd recorder, hdd is the cdrom

I removed the cdrom, and put in another 4GB hard disk, so /dev/hdd is now a hard disk. I booted off the Mandrake 10.1 DVD and installed it to hdd ( root mount point on hdd). I left the default position for the bootloader (MBR?).

So, the system boots to Mandrake (great install process btw) and I can mount the logical volumes created by Fedora and see the files.

My question (finally, sorry) is can I configure lilo (or grub) to optionally boot the old Fedora system? Do I have to copy the kernel, initrd image etc to the Mandrake /boot area?

How do I configure the boot menu? I have found the nice GUI for altering it in the Mandrake control centre, but how do I relate the entries it expects, to what was in the Fedora grub.conf file ?

How do I configure the boot menu?  I have found the nice GUI for altering it in the Mandrake control centre, but how do I relate the entries it expects, to what was in the Fedora grub.conf file ?

Well, I figured it out for myself. It didn't help that a bug in the drak GUI was not saving my changes to the boot menu.

Anyway, in case it helps someone else, here's what I did, in summary

I mounted /dev/hda1 to a directory in my home and found /boot/grub/menu.lst. Found the section I normally use to boot fedora - looks something like...

title Fedora Core (2.6.10-0.4.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-0.4.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

initrd /initrd-2.6.10-0.4.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.img

(don't mind the ccrma stuff - that's just a low latency kernel I am using for music work)

I translated that to the slightly different format used by mandrake (different version of grub?) and added it to /boot/grub/menu.lst under mandrake. Key points were to aim it at (hd0,0) rather than (hd2,0) and to get the kernel path and name and parameters right, and similar for initrd.

Nothing else to do. Fedora boots fine from the new entry.

Thanks for posting back - and welcome to the board.  :)

Thanks, and yeah hi :D

I might be hanging around, as I am quite impressed with Mandrake 10.1 so far, as compared to Fedora Core 3. Some differences to get used to, but many very nice things - like it comes with Rosegarden (I had to struggle a bit to get that going in Fedora).

I was surprised that Firefox isn´t installed.

I really like the Mandrake Control Centre though...