Tips&Tricks NEWBIE WARNING! Don't mess with your runleve

aru

CloakedPenguin

Frequent user

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2002 3:59 am Post subject: NEWBIE WARNING! Don't mess with your runlevel

Hi there fellow Newbies. Just wanted to warn you do not mess with you runlevel configuration! I thought by changing from runlevel 5 (which it should stay at until you become a seasoned professional unlike myself) to runlevel 4 that my system would run faster by lowere the graphics detail some. WELL! I was unable to log into anything, all I got was a non-graphical command promt for logging into linux, and couldn't get back into the graphical part of Linux (ie KDE or GNOME). To fix this I had to re-insert my cd-rom 1 and do an upgrade-install, luckily it worked and after going through all that I was able to go back to graphical mode. NOW! I'm sure there was an easier way to get back to a graphical based linux, but I didn't know the commands.

If anyone knows the commands to do such when you have the prompt (i e to change the run level please post it below).

Just wanted to share this story of stupidity with other Newbies out there... don't mess with it unless you are pretty darn sure you know what it's gonna do... LOL

Moderators, please feel free to move this should you feel it should go somewhere else.

DOlson

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2002 4:12 am Post subject:

You should only use runlevel 3 or 5...

Here is the table of runlevels:

0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

1 - Single user mode

2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)

3 - Full multiuser mode

4 - unused

5 - X11

6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

As you can see, you set yours to an unused one... Bad move.

illogic-al

Senior user

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2002 4:49 am Post subject:

and to change runlevel we can do

init 3 for runlevel 3 or

init 5 for runlevel 5

I never tried runlevel 4 before. It only gives you a command prompt eh? I feel prank coming. Very Happy

phazeman

Frequent user

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:57 am Post subject:

Actually you can avoid the change of the runlevel by choosing the 'failsafe' option in the LILO menu, and then starting the console + network . It does the same thing.

cannonfodder

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:50 am Post subject:

CloakedPenguin, its ok to change your runlevel. You just didn't know what you were doing. But that's ok too Smile One idea behind linux is you can screw around with your system and possibly fudge things up, but its just a learning experience. So other users, go ahead and make your day! Change your runlevel!

thayne

Senior user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 9:16 am Post subject:

I use runlevel 3 on my machines by default, mainly for security reasons, and use 'startx' whenever I want kde. Never heard of run level 4

phazeman

Frequent user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 9:20 am Post subject:

i know that if you use KDE3, you should use Xtart. It's better. There is a update for it on the mandrake updates page.

DOlson

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:17 pm Post subject:

If you want to run KDE3, why not just type in kde3 and hit enter? That *should* do it.

And runlevel 3 r0X0rZ!!!

cannonfodder

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:29 pm Post subject:

*shuffle shuffle shuffle* Cannonfodder hunting for his dictionary of mangled Englsh

CloakedPenguin

Frequent user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 7:52 pm Post subject:

um I tried that.... but I now have taken KDE off my computer and only have GNOME... my computer runs much faster now!!!!! OMG unbelievable! I can't believe how fast it runs.... zoom zoom....

illogic-al

Senior user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 10:34 pm Post subject:

Odd. I find gnome to be even more resource hungry than kde(3). Did you do anything special?

DOlson

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 11:01 pm Post subject:

Same here. I can't stand Gnome. Once, I forced myself to use it for a week straight. Couldn't do it. I switched back to KDE2.2.2 after about... oh, 40 minutes or so.

I can't get KDE3 to work right. It loads really quickly though.

But KDE2.2.2 is just fine for now. I have the extra 9 seconds to spare.

CloakedPenguin

Frequent user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 11:47 pm Post subject:

Nope nothing special just removed KDE and everything is now zooming! It's like a whole new computer! I can't wait to see how it works when I'm through building my computer, and installing it on it. Should really run fast with 2.2 GHZ P4 and 3 Gig of ram.... Twisted Evil

xjlittle

Frequent user

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:18 pm Post subject: it rocks!

Yah GNOME Rocks! I switched from KDE a few months ago..and never looked back..

phunni

Frequent user

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:43 am Post subject: Hmmmm...

Seems loads of people are removing KDE from their machines and seeing a speed increase. I use fluxbox, but have left both KDE and Gnome on my machine as I was under the impression that they might be required to run certain apps - was I wrong?

What would happen if I remove either Gnome or KDE (or both?)?

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: Hmmmm...

phunni wrote:

I use fluxbox, but have left both KDE and Gnome on my machine as I was under the impression that they might be required to run certain apps - was I wrong? What would happen if I remove either Gnome or KDE (or both?)?

You were not wrong.

IMHO, the way Mandrake's RPMs' packages' dependencies are done, removing either would probably cause about 99.9% of all installed packages to be removed "to satisfy packages dependencies". In theory, though, removing Gnome will just keep you from using applications that use the Gnome libraries, and the same for KDE. So you'd better keep both because a lot of applications use those libraries, regardless of the window manager you're using.

But then, if you really want, you can still remove both (my opinion then: just don't use Mandrake, use a mini-distro instead), and:

- either hunt for non-KDE non-Gnome alternatives for all your needs,

- or get Gtk applications' sources and recompile them without gnome support (those that can).

Yves.

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:24 pm Post subject:

illogic-al wrote:

I never tried runlevel 4 before

I have Wink (I created it on my laptop so that at boot in lilo I can choose to boot in XDMCP mode (slave to the big PC))

Actually, there are more boot levels. I think there is "s" and "S", which are synonyms for "1". But I think I've read that you could create others ("7", "8"...)

In fact, if you look at the content of rc0.d and rc6.d, you'll see that all is there (/sbin/halt and /sbin reboot) for runlevels 0 and 6 to behave as expected. There's nothing magic in 0, 1, 3, 5, and 6. It's all convention. If you were a weird person, you could decide that runlevel 0 is for reboot, and runlevel 9 for halting; that would be stupid but doable.

Yves.

phunni

Frequent user

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: Hmmmm...

theYinYeti wrote:

IMHO, the way Mandrake's RPMs' packages' dependencies are done, removing either would probably cause about 99.9% of all installed packages to be removed "to satisfy packages dependencies". In theory, though, removing Gnome will just keep you from using applications that use the Gnome libraries, and the same for KDE. So you'd better keep both because a lot of applications use those libraries, regardless of the window manager you're using.

I can see this - so how come some people earlier in this thread have claimed to remove KDE? Do they not wreck their systems?

I would love it if there was something to really speed up my system - it is horribly slow.

static

Post Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:56 pm Post subject:

No - they sure didn't wreck their systems. However, if you're unsure about how to keep the right libraries, wait. There are ways to check for what to keep. But I feel it's the sort of task you have to learn your way to - not have someone just tell you. It's like you have to read all the stuff you find about it instead to understand it when you get it when hunting for it.

Other distros don't use RPM's (as talked about in Mandrake vs. Red Hat) and can install required libraries on demand. I had just fluxbox and used everything from guarddog to cdbake oven.

Linux is pretty much infinitely customizable. Enjoy the learning process, but even more - enjoy your PC when you're done learning!

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).