Tips&Tricks Promote Linux while in Windows, seemlessly

aru

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:16 pm Post subject: WE NEED THAT: Promote Linux while in Windows, seemlessly

We all know how badly Linux need to be recognized as a valid alternative to Windows. The problem is that most surveys for evaluating the market part of each OS is based on the statistics provided by web sites. If that were not bad enough, many of us need to fake IE inside Linux (!) to have access to some web sites, thus making it appear we use Windows when in fact we use Linux.

I've just had an idea. We'll use this "faking" possibility the other way around! How? Simple:

On every Windows computer you use, be it at home, or at work (as I do right now), use Mozilla 1.0 as the main browser, then download the Useragent Toolbar for Mozilla, and set it permanently to "Mozilla 1.0.0+ Linux", which translates into "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0+) Gecko/20020518".

That way, all your surfing inside Windows will appear to be made from Linux.

I've just tested it at http://www.cnil.fr/traces/demonst/config.htm and here's what I'm said:

Quote:

Nous pouvons voir que votre ordinateur utilise : Linux comme système d'exploitation.

Votre navigateur a comme nom de code : Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0+) Gecko/20020518

In fact, I use Windows 2000.

Yves.

sisob

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:24 pm Post subject:

by devil, that's just crafty enought to work

anon

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:35 pm Post subject:

Clever stuff, Im doing it now......

Two minutes later.....

Yes it works !! Maybe every month or two you should " bump " that tip ??

DragonMage

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:39 pm Post subject:

tricky tricky tricky, I like that. BTW, before I download mozilla for windows, does it support the middle button open a new tab feature? I have been using that feature so long in linux that I forgot that I cannot open a new tab (or windows) when pressing middle button in IE. Just like typing ls in dos instead of dir Smile

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:19 am Post subject:

anon wrote:

Maybe every month or two you should " bump " that tip ??

What does "bump" a message mean?

DragonMage wrote:

does it support the middle button open a new tab feature?

Yes. I do that all the time. The only thing I miss from Galeon is the "auto-create-new-tab on new window request".

Thanks for the apreciation Embarassed Smile

Yves.

anon

Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:11 am Post subject:

theYinYeti wrote:

anon wrote:

Maybe every month or two you should " bump " that tip ??

What does "bump" a message mean?

Find an old post that nobody has replied or added to in months, reply to that post with the word " bump " it will then appear in the " new posts ". ie : bump it up to the top of a list of new messages etc

theYinYeti Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:47 am Post subject:

anon wrote:

reply to that post with the word " bump " it will then appear in the " new posts "

You mean I hit "Post Reply", then just enter "bump" in the text area, and then MUB will interpret it correctly as a request to renew the topic? Or will the "bump" word actually appear as a reply to that topic? After some time, The replies' list may look like:

Code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

theYinYeti     MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Juil 2002 8:19    Sujet du   message:  bump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

theYinYeti     MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Sept 2002 8:19    Sujet du   message:  bump

theYinYeti     MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Dec 2002 8:19     Sujet du   message:  bump

Yves.

JLP

Frequent user

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:53 am Post subject: Done

I did it Smile

anon

Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:46 am Post subject:

theYinYeti wrote:

anon wrote:

reply to that post with the word " bump " it will then appear in the " new posts "

You mean I hit "Post Reply", then just enter "bump" in the text area, and then MUB will interpret it correctly as a request to renew the topic? Or will the "bump" word actually appear as a reply to that topic? After some time, The replies' list may look like:

Code:

On every Windows computer you use, be it at home, or at work (as I do right now), use Mozilla 1.0 as the main browser, then download the Useragent Toolbar for Mozilla, and set it permanently to "Mozilla 1.0.0+ Linux", which translates into "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0+) Gecko/20020518".

That way, all your surfing inside Windows will appear to be made from Linux.

theYinYeti MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Juil 2002 8:19 Sujet du message: bump

theYinYeti MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Sept 2002 8:19 Sujet du message: bump

theYinYeti MessagePosté le: Jeu 11 Dec 2002 8:19 Sujet du message: bump

Yves.

Yes it would look like the above, but people would only look at the top or first post. If you know how to acess the old MUO board you will see it was often done.

ramfree17

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:40 am Post subject:

but please delete the bump post when it has already done its job (or when somebody has overbumped your previous bump). the board's resources is finite so every byte saved will be appreciated. or just empty the post, bump is composed of 4 bytes.

ciao!

Lectraplayer Newbie

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:53 pm Post subject: Now, if only I

could get Wine to work.

I know with Linux Mandrake (as well as some other distrobutions) Wine is included. If not, it's easy to get-- wine.com if I remember right. It lets you run WINDOWS SOFTWARE under Linux. Unfortunately, it has never worked for me. Mad Then again, there's no fib to my "newbe" status. Help making Wine work with my software (including Windows Unreal & Unreal Tourney) would be appreciated. I'll even use my internet software under Linux then.

static

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:08 pm Post subject:

(not that this is the place to get wine working or UT - you should always ask new questions in the proper place as a new thread rather than halfway through another thread, but...)

You don't need wine to play UT - it runs in linux.

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:44 am Post subject:

I'll appreciate if Wine stuff goes on its own thread / topic, because if I "bump" the topic as explained above, people will wonder what topic has actually been bumped: uabar or wine? Thanks. Yves.

BTW: Wine really is excellent, and I test each new version. I'll delete this post in a short while

anon

Senior user

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:07 am Post subject:

Bump

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:41 am Post subject:

bump

MRichards

Frequent user

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:15 am Post subject:

ummm... what if you run IE in linux thru wine?>

than what can yuo do to make it work properly? and show upo as LinuXXX?????????/

Ludootje

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:15 pm Post subject:

MRichards wrote:

ummm... what if you run IE in linux thru wine?>

than what can yuo do to make it work properly? and show upo as LinuXXX?????????/

You can't make IE look like if it's another browser, like mozilla for example. This tip is only for mozilla under windows. Furthermore, there's no reason to use IE under GNU/Linux (or any other OS, not even windows) since there are much better browsers.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).