Tips&Tricks Enable DRI/3D hardware acceleration in XFree

aru

illogic-al

Senior user

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:30 pm Post subject: Enable DRI/3D hardware acceleration in XFree 4.2

It's been a while since I returned to these hallowed halls but here I am with a new possibly unneccessary tutorial. The mandrake tool XFdrake basically configured 3D properly on my machine so I'm guessing it works for everyone else. This tutorial is pretty much for those adventurous many who have in the search for greater knowlege fscked up X and don't know what else to do.

Things to try before reading what going to be a long tutorial

Code:

XFdrake --expert

I heard that typing this at a console shows the expert option which further shows the XFree 4.2.0 with 3D when you select a video card. I think this does the same thing while removing any attempts at automatic configuration.

Code:

XFdrake --expert --noauto

If either of these don't do what they're supposed to you should be able to type

Code:

XFdrake --help

at a console and get a list of available options or

Code:

XFdrake --help|less

if some of the options scroll off screen.

***********ACTUAL TUTORIAL BEGINS HERE***********

The first thing you need to have are AGP and DRI support compiled as kernel modules for you're respective video card. The first thing you need to do is check to see if you have any files in your

Code:

/lib/modules/your kernel version/kernel/drivers/char/

you should have 2 directories there: agp and drm. In the agp there should be a file called agpgart.o and in the drm folder there should be a file whose name corresponds to your video card. I think you can compile these into the kernel but I won't be using these modules all the time so I haven't bothered to try. If those files aren't there then you'll need to recompile you're kernel to include these modules. They are both in the section under Character Devices. Once that's done you'll have to add a few lines to your

Code:

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

file.

You'll have to add

Code:

Load glx

Load dri

under the Module Section and you'll have to add

Code:

Section "DRI"

Mode     0666

EndSection  

preferably under Section "Modules" after this you may to make some modifications for your specific video card. The info can be found here in the wonderful XFree DRI How-To. The Homepage for the DRI userguide is herehttp://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/DRI.html[/code]

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).