Tips&Tricks Samba,Networking, and Norton Internet Securi

aru

James_H_Covington

Frequent user

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 2:55 pm Post subject: Samba,Networking, and Norton Internet Security

Just sharing some hard-learned lessons here:

I had a home LAN for my two Win98 computers, and got an old P166 box to experiment with Linux. One of the first things I wanted to do was configure Samba to allow file and printer sharing between the Linux box and the two Windows machines. After slugging through the How-to's (the best one to start with was the Samba NHF on www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/network/samba/samba1.html ) I had the following situation:

1. Windows computer A could access the Linux shares and Windows computer B.

2. Windows computer B could access the Linux shares and Windows computer A.

3. The Linux machine could only mount the shares from Windows A

4. Linux could only ping Windows A and itself.

5. Windows A could only ping Linux and itself.

6. Windows B could ping all machines.

The problem? I had Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed on Windows B, and the firewall was blocking the incoming packets. For some reason, the Network Neighborhood was OK between the two Windows machines (I suspect via the NETBEUI protocol). By disabling some of the port blocking in NIS, I was able to solve the problem!

Now, it's on to User level security in Samba, to allow my teens to protect their files from each other!!

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).