ATI|Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP 4437

xxbeanxx

Hey guys. I just purchased a Toshiba A60 laptop a little while ago with the above mentioned video card.

I'm currently using the fglrx xorg drivers, and it does have 3D acceleration, albeit poor 3D acceleration. I'd actually consider calling it 3D deceleration.

At first I just thought the card was junk... I could barely run celestia at all. Then I installed celestia in windows and noticed that it actually runs very well.

So, it seems that my card is capable of higher framerates, but linux can't seem to get them. I have a desktop with an ATI card, using the same flgrx driver and it works like a charm.

Are there any parameters that I can tweak to get my laptop up to speed? Is this an ATI problem (crappy driver) or a misconfiguration problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I went to the ATI website and noticed they have the same-named fglrx drivers available for download, but the file is the same for all flavors of ATI cards. This is what is making me think there's a possibility its a configuration problem.

Thanks again...

Greg

I'm not sure the ATI proprietary driver actually does 3D acceleration for its IGP chipsets. I know it doesn't for the IGP in *desktop* ATI chipsets, it only does 2D acceleration (this information is buried in the release notes, it's not obvious). You might want to read the ATI site docs carefully to see if it really *supports* 3D acceleration on your chipset.