Creating a desktop icon and actually have it work

357mag

Well after much monkeying around I have been able to access and view the contents of my zip drive and my USB drive using the console window. After I did that I right clicked on an empty part of the desktop and chose "create new device" and chose a hard drive icon(for accessing my USB drive). Under the device tab I saw these entries:

/dev/sda1

/dev/hdc(cdrom)

/dev/hdd(cdrom2)

/dev/fdo(/mnt/floppy)

/dev/hda1(/mnt/win_c)

/dev/sda1(/mnt/win_c2) don't know why it's calling my D partition sda1 either. Maybe cuz it's not formatted yet?

Well I chose /dev/sda1 cuz that appeared to be the most logical choice. But when I clicked on my new desktop icon now representing my USB drive I got:

Could not enter folder /mnt/usb

The file location box at the top does say file: /mnt/usb so I think that's is correct, but I don't know why I can't access the contents of my USB drive now graphically with the new icon. And when I issued the mount command in the console window I actually had to type:

mount -t auto /dev/sda /mnt/usb

I typed sda not sda1 so I don't know why the drop down list under the Device Tab would say /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda. Also my D partition under Windows 2000 is not formatted yet(maybe that has something to do with it?)

Anyway if you have a clue as to how to successfully set up a desktop icon that works when you click on it that would be good, cuz I don't know.

I did try that but it says "only root can mount none /dev/sda1..." In the MCC someone told me to uncheck the superuser or supermount box and check the user box but it didn't work. Actually I tried many different things in order to access my drive through the desktop icon but nothing has worked. But what may be the problem is that I don't have Mandrake installed on my hard drive, I'm just running off the Live CD. And the same guy told me that the Live CD is "crippled" and you cannot save any configuration changes with it. So at this point I simply may have to buy the retail version and install it and then take it from there.