URPMI -- reliable sources?

javaguy

Guest jones.tm

After install I use urpmi infrequently. I find that I have to remove and add new URPMI sources just about every other time I use it. Easy URPMI makes this less of a pain. Things may be different if you use the Mandrake club mirrors (I would hope so!).

What error do you get, exactly?

My two favourite mirrors are anorien and proxad, FWIW. (anorien used to be a great 'secret' mirror, the address wasn't published _anywhere_ and it ran like something brown and sticky off a shovel. I curse the day it got onto easyurpmi. :>)

javaguy, do you do the update of the hdlist before trying to install something?

main and contrib should be stable / unchanging, but who knows. And if there are requirements from things that also have updated sources, and your local (previously) downloaded hdlist is old/outdated, it may request old / non-existing files...?

(Just guessing)

Grrrr. Now I can't seem to reproduce the error. :( The one I kept getting was something about the mirror not being up to date.

Here's what I do get. I have a directory with all my cool RPMs that I have downloaded, including the mklivecd package. I ran genhdlist in this directory, as root. Then I used urpmi.addmedia to add it as a source. Then I tried to urpmi the mklivecd package. It made two complaints. First it said:

mklivecd-0.5.9-0.20041231.1mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied perl(run_program)) Continue? (Y/n)

I told it to continue, but the package did not install. It then said:

medium "javarpms" uses an invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up-to-date, trying to use alternate method

Now it said this approximately sixty seconds after I finished the genhdlist and added the directory as a source (yes, I removed it and then re-added it just to be sure :) ).

If I understand correctly, "run_program" is a package that the mklivecd thingumy depends on. Is that right? I searched on rpmseek.com but found nothing.

First thing: the Continue (y/n) doesn't do anything since there's nothing else to continue with.

You would have to install it with some other option so it will actually ignore the missing dependencies.

It may be that perl(run_program) is referring to some perl addon,..?

Do you have regular perl installed?

What options do you get if you try:

urpmi --fuzzy perl

?

BTW if you just want to install a few packages you don't have to create a complete repository, you can just do

urpmi [package1.rpm] [package2.rpm]

etc, as long as all dependencies are solved between the packages or they can be solved with other sources (main, contrib, etc), the packages will be installed.

sounds like the mklivecd rpm you downloaded is incorrectly built or not intended for the version of MDK you're using. From at least 10.0 onwards (I think...) mklivecd is in the official MDK packages, you should just be able to install it from a correctly configured main or contrib source for your version of MDK. Otherwise you'll have to find a version properly built for your version of MDK. Can't help with the other set of RPMs, I'm afraid, I don't mess with local repositories.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newhere33
What error do you get, exactly?

My two favourite mirrors are anorien and proxad, FWIW. (anorien used to be a great 'secret' mirror, the address wasn't published _anywhere_ and it ran like something brown and sticky off a shovel. I curse the day it got onto easyurpmi. :>)

Hi, there

I used easyurpmi site to add media but all they failed :

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "cookermain"

OR

...retrieving failed: curl: (7) couldn't connect

Once I saw urpmi was trying to use 10.0.6.1. proxy of my office when I was calling from home. May this be the reason?

Please help me to update bug in 10.1 official download that does not scale my Dothan CPU

Can I do this with Cooker Kernel 2.6.11?

Thanks!

http://mandrakeusers.org/style_images/1/fo...icons/icon4.gif