Tips&Tricks CD ROM & Floppy drives not allowing you

aru

CloakedPenguin

Frequent user

Post Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:12 am Post subject: CD ROM & Floppy drives not allowing you access???

Hi there I thought I would take this helpful information from the old board and post it here for people since it helped out several people.

From the other board:

""I have been unable to access my floppy and CDrom drives. I keep getting these error messages: Unable to enter file:/mnt/floppy You do not have access rights to this location and Unable to enter file:/mnt/cdrom You do not have access rights to this location.

To fix this do this in a shell:

First step: login as su

Second: supermount i-disable

Third: mount /mnt/floppy

Fourth: mount /mnt/cdrom

that fixed it! YAY!

Very Happy ""

The CD ROM and the floppy appear to be mounted before you do this, and they are, but access is denied. I don't know the exact reasoning, but I guess it's a way of tricking the system?

static

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2002 7:44 pm Post subject:

Another better way (sorry CloakedPenguin) is to open a console, type su and give your root password and type "vi /etc/fstab"

in there, press "i" to enter insert mode and add the word user to the cdrom line(s) options like

this

Code:

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom    supermount    user,ro,defaults   0

(device)      (mount point)     (type)        (options)       (dunno)

and never worry again - add user to any cdrom line! Press ESC (to exit insert mode) :wq (colon for command: write & quit)

:wq

CloakedPenguin

Frequent user

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:14 am Post subject:

Or I guess you can do it his way.... LOL.... what ever you feel like doing... Smile

phillips83

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 6:54 pm Post subject: same problem,

not working

hey,

i've been trying to get my cdrom (/dvd) going for a couple of days, which is frustrating because it was working before i reinstalled linux. i've tried changing the filesystem options in linuxconf, editing the /etc/fstab file in vi, and nothing seems to work. maybe i need to follow an exact sequence? ie: log on as root, unmount cd drive, edit fstab, log off, restart.... i must be doing something wrong..... here is the cd line of fstab:/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom supermount users,exec,dev,suid,ro,noauto,fs=iso9660 0 0

any help would be appreciated.. eric

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).