wxWidgets and GTK - installing

In order to compile a program called Proximodo I need wxWidgets >= 2.5.3, which in turn needs gtk >= 1.2.3.

I am running MDK10.1.

I tried installing libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.4.9-9mdk with rpmdrake but it would not install as two freetype6 packages had bad mdsums.

I then successfully installed version 1.2.10 of gtk using rpmdrake.

I have located and downloaded wxAll-2.5.3.tar.gz and have unzipped it. When I cd to the wxWidgets directory and enter

./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 (parameters from another forum)

I receive a message saying that gtk is not installed correctly. It recommends that I run gtk-configure --libs and enter the path into LD-LIBRARY-PATH.

I run gtk-configure and get

-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm

I am not sure how to interpret the above.

Finally, when I do a file search I can find the gtk 1.2 header files, but not the library files.

Please, can anyone help me? Everything else in Linux is set up how I want it (after nearly 12 months of at times frustrating work) and once I have Proximodo running I will be able to delete my Windows partition (-;

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have homed in on my problem and can now be more specific. I hope that means that someone will reply :D

I cd to the wxWidgets directory and ./configure --with-gtk --enable--gtk

./configure fails because the gtk test program does not run. The reason for the latter is that it cannot find gtk.h.

gtk-config --cflags gives

-I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include

Checking the wxWidgets config.log file shows that the test program specifies #include <gtk/gtk.h>

Therefore I assume that the compiler will look for /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h

A file search locates /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h

The comand used to compile the test program is

gcc -o conftest -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES conftest.c >&5

The --cflags are not passed to the compiler.

Can someone help me please :wall:

You don't have the GTK+ development libraries installed. You need to install libgtk+-1.2-devel (approximately, I'm not at a Linux machine).

I'm interested in your initial problem, however; MDK does have wxGTK packages, you should have been able to install these (and their -devel packages too) and then compile Proximodo against those MDK packages. You almost certainly have libfreetype6 already, it'd be an odd working system without it; maybe your urpmi sources are a little confused? If you could go into more detail about your urpmi sources and the precise packages that failed to install, we could resolve that problem too.

You don't have the GTK+ development libraries installed. You need to install libgtk+-1.2-devel (approximately, I'm not at a Linux machine).

I'm interested in your initial problem, however; MDK does have wxGTK packages, you should have been able to install these (and their -devel packages too) and then compile Proximodo against those MDK packages. You almost certainly have libfreetype6 already, it'd be an odd working system without it; maybe your urpmi sources are a little confused? If you could go into more detail about your urpmi sources and the precise packages that failed to install, we could resolve that problem too.

libgtk+-1.2.... is installed. . gtk-config --version returns 1.2.10.

I appear to have wxGTK.....2.5.1 (not development version) installed. I went into rpmdrake and found it in the Delete Packages section. I assume that to compile wxWidgets I need the development version of gtk?

My urpmi sources do have wxGTK development version 2.5.1. I have not installed it because Proximodo requires >=2.5.3. I wonder if the micro number really matters. I am tempted to try it.

I have discovered that I need to add the parameter --disable-gtk2 to ./configure

i.e. ./configure --with-gtk enable-gtk --disable-gtk2

The gtk include files are in usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk which is not in the SEARCH_INCLUDE list in the configure script. I therefore run

export CFLAGS=<result of gtk-config --cflags>

Currently the gtk test program in ./configure generates syntax errors such as

conftest.c: In function `main':

conftest.c:81: error: syntax error before ')' token

The config.log file also lists mspack.h as not found.

Sorry if the above is disjointed but I seem to have been going around in circles. I hope that it gives you some clues about what I am doing wrong or what I should check next.

Thanks

try the packages here ftp://ftp.lug.ro/people/mirceac/mdk-Ultraupdates/10.1/

you may add this into your rpm source also. I was able to install 2.5.3 from this source using rpm

Thanks for that. The problem is that I need the development version (ie libraries + header files) and I could not see one on that site.

In desperation I used urpmi to install wxgtk-devel-2.5.1. It did not solve the Proximodo compile problem. In frustration I then repeated, yet again, the compile process for wxGTK 2.5.3 and left the room. When I came back wxGTK 2.5.3 was installed! I do not know if the two events are related. I am not confident that I could repeat the install.

By looking at the ./configure and make install messages, looking at config.log and running wx-config I am 99% confident that wxGTK 2.5.3 is installed.

I then tried to compile Proximodo. All .cpp files now compild. Unfortunately the linker goes crazy and generates screenfuls of eror messages. It seems that I have a library problem.