Tips&Tricks Post subject: fix mozilla RC-3 freeze-up

aru

kevmccor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:25 pm Post subject: fix mozilla RC-3 freeze-up

I was really shocked whem mozilla 1.0-RC-3 froze on me just for visiting some java-ified websites. I found an answer at www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0 iin the release notes, under bug 84093.

Edit the file /etc/profile, or $HOME/.bash_profile, and add the line:

Code:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

Apparently there is some esoteric bug in sun java 1.3.1_01 that doesn't understand the "floating stack feature of the i686 version of glibc", or something. Anyway, this fix seems to help.

kevmccor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:12 pm Post subject: some more

information

Responding to my own post. After I posted, it seemed to me that I should try something else. I had used the sun jdk 1.3.1_01 version of java, downloaded from their website, to soft link to the plugin. However, I also had downloaded just the jre 1.3.1_01 earlier (on my system, the mozilla/plugins/ directory now has has this soft link:

libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /opt/jre131/jre1.3.1_01//plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so*

I have these recurring ideas of learning something about java) . I did an experiment and removed the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable and used the jre libjavaplugin_oji.so instead of the jdk plugin as the target of the soft link. It seems that cured the problem also. So, use the jre, not the jdk. Does that make any sense?

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).