Error during upgrade: error can not mount hda

Guest air1664

Guest air1664

I have a dual boot machine. I re-installed Windows to have XP Pro, which worked without trouble. Of course, when booting again the machine, lilo was not there to choose the OS. I had Mandrake 9.2 So I borrowed Mandrake 10 cds to make an upgrade. When I booted with the Mandrake cd, no problem, it recognizes there was already mandrake installed. When it reaches the partition segment of the installation/upgrade, it prompts a message telling it can not mount hda, and I was stuck there!

I shut down the machine, booted again with the cd, and this time, it did not recognize that there was a Mandrake installed before. So I am offered to simply install Mandrake again. While looking at the partition, it recognizes /home, the swap area but it does not recognize the / partition.

If I want to keep my data, is there something I can do? If I just set up a mounting point for /, would it work?

Thanks,

/ refers to /root partition where the /usr /var /mnt etc..etc resides, /home of course your linux users home directory, you can specify not to format it so you may not lost your data stored on it during your previous mandy, well, if your XP file system was set to NTFS, i think during the installation , mandrake will recognize it as ntfs, or if its FAT, vfat, so you may leave it as is... mount the / as root partition... well if your format it, all of ur previously installed program will be lost, but no probs, whats the use of urpmi anyway... hope i had you a little help

Prior to reinstalling any windows, you should restore the mbr so that windows does not know anything else is there. Keep that in mind the next time you have to reinstall windows. (Yes, you will have to do it again at some point in time) If / is not reading, it is not there. I may have been toasted by windows. I would install new, expert, custom partition, and make a new /. Leave /home alone. The data in / is already gone. Unlike windows, Mandrake will not do anything you do not tell it to do.