Boot problem after install

Guest Nman2600

Guest Nman2600

I'm totally new to Mandrake and linux. I installed Mandrake 8.1 with out any problems. Let it reformat the hard drive auto partition the drive, foundmy hardware, configured X with no problems. Completed the install.

Then when it reboots I get a blue loader screen with 3 options linux, linus-nfp, and failsafe. If I choose linux I get a blue welcome screen, but then I get :

Auto: Auto: file or directory not found

Kernel Panic

If I choose failsafe I get a similar message.

I have reinstalled twice with the same results.

My hardware is a Dell 3200 laptop.

What am I doing wrong? :shock:

Thanks in advance!

The first thing I am going to recommend to you is upgrading to Mandrake 9.0. It should relieve you of that problem one time.

What does the line above the error say? We need to know what it is trying to do when the error occurs. I have heard of similar problems with older releases of MDK. Get 9.

I suggest (other than getting 9. 0 which is a good idea) that you try an expert install. This will give you control over the partitioning as well as giving you control over package selection. I am guessing as to what auto means in this context, but it could be one of the device parameters for some of the devices in your computer. Without it, no Mandrake. If you downloaded the iso's check the md5sum. You can find a Windows version to do this here: ftp://ftp.e-smith.net/pub/e-smith/contrib...DOSWindowsApps/ . The md5sums are on the same page you downloaded from. Compare what you get with those for each CD. This may not work on commercial packages where a small difference in content will give the wrong result making you think there is an error when there isn't.

Counterspy