How I got my internal modem working like a dream

seaeagle

This is copied from my blog:

After installing Mandrake Linux & not being able to get my external serial modem to work properly (as in maximum of 10-15 minutes connection time), I went back to the dealer & decided to go with an internal modem they suggested (which finished up not being supported by Mandrake). Even though I knew internal modems are not highly recommended for Linux, the main reason is only the fact that you need to get the correct driver for your system. I was also seriously considering installing Windows temporarily until I could afford to buy an external modem that would definitely work on Linux.

But, I am a very tenacious person. I was not going to give up without a fight. I sat up an entire night searching on a borrowed PC and finally found just what I thought might be the solution - and it turned out to be that it was.

I went to this site: Linuxant - Linux drivers for Conexant modems. This site has a free utility for identifying the chipset inside your modem (and there is also a Windows version, so you can do it before installing Linux). Once you run the test you will get a report advising of your distribution & kernal, and the modem details. Mine was identified as:

Feature List: Primary Subsystem Distr KernelVer kernel default CPU

./scanModem test 14f1:2f00 14f1:2004 mandrake 2.6.8.1-12mdk 3.4.1 3.4.1 i686

== Checking PCI IDs through modem chip suppliers ==

14f1:2f00 is a Conexant HSF modem.

Now I had what I needed. BTW, I also got a report advising where to go for Conexant drivers, which is Linuxant. I was able to download the free version of the driver & install it - my modem connected first go & stayed on until I manually disconnected 5 hours later.

The free modem drivers at Linuxant are speed limited to 14,400kps, however you can buy an unlock license for $14.95. Now that I knew I definitely had a working, reliable connection, I found the $14.95 to be well worth it (after all, how much does an external modem cost?). Licenses are not kernel-specific. You can upgrade your kernel or change your Linux distribution as often as you want and use the same license key. Also, they provide free upgrades for a period of at least one year, if not more.

So, after almost 2 weeks of frustration, I now have a fantastic Mandrake Linux desktop system running with a reliable 56K modem connection. Thanks Linuxant & Mandrake.

Edited by seaeagle