Graphics problems installing Mandrake 10.1

Guest pepik

Total newbie. Installed Mandrake 10.1 on a Compaq Armada E500 notebook, i think it is series pp2060 (i.e. old, at least 6 years).

It is failing to recognise graphics card or monitor. Trouble is I'm pretty sure there is no graphics card, so i don't know what to select in the system configuration options. Anyway after running "test" in system configuration part of install, gives error message "failed to load module "/usr/x11r6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a (once only module, 135962511) (EE) No devices detected. Try changing some parameters". Also gives "bringing up interface eth0 - failed" on boot and something about cpufreq which goes by so fast i can't even read it. Install otherwise seems fine except that having only BASH leaves me pretty much helpless.

I think the "failed to load module" error is just saying it can't run graphics because it doesn't recognise a monitor or graphics card. The "eth0" fail is probably not relevant, i *think* the broadband internet connection actually worked because i ran the "look for updates" at the end of install and it said "finished" without complaints.

Bad news is I did a hard drive wipe so can't go back to windows to look at settings. Dumb. :wall: I have tried to research this but no luck. All I could come up with was maybe need for bios update or switch bios so it doesn't do OS pnp? I had a very old version of Windows NT running before which I thought had no OS pnp, so I thought that wouldn't need changing.

Let me re-emphasise newbie. As Denzel Washington said in Philadelphia, "Explain it to me like I'm a two year old". Many thanks.

Edited by pepik

Instructions for a 2 year old:

1: boot in 'failsafe mode' at the lilo (bootmanager) prompt

2: type: init 3 <enter>

3: log in as root by typing: root <enter> password <enter>

3: type XFdrake <enter> (with the capitol letters). This is the Mandrake monitor configuration wizard and it well let you setup your monitor. If all else fails use as driver: vesa.

4: type: exit

5 login as normal user (type username, password well you get the idea)

6: type: startx

That's it.

eth0 problem. Once you're in X and DE (the graphics server and desktop environment), go to the mandake control center (MCC), netwerk en internet, manage connection, tab options and uncheck hotnetwork plugging.

That's it.

cpufreq: I don't know

Good luck :)

Don't let the cpufreq warning scare you, I have the same warning, doesn't mean a thing - unrelated to your graphics issues.

BTW isn't the E500 very much the same as the M700?

On my M700 there are 2 bootmenus, one regular one (ctrl-F12 I think, could be ctrl-F10 ) that allows to choose boot device and such, and one network one (ctrl-S) where you can also choose the setting for acpi vs. apm and such.

You may want to look at that too...

Oh, my armada has an ATI rage mobility - I think the drivername is 'mach'...

I went through the mandrake monitor configuration wizard and tried pretty much every ATI card they had in there, plus many others, and went to the vesa card under x-org, and got the same message for every one:

An error occurred: (EE) Problem parsing the config file (EE) Error parsing the config file Try to change some parameters.

I think the E500 is nearly identical to the M700. Also, i looked over the notebook and found that it is probably circa 2000, so not as old as I thought. As far as ACPI and APM, I have no idea what that means.

I'm wondering if I can just open this notebook up and look what kind of graphics card it has, or is that bad idea? Should I reinstall windows and look up from there (not the best option, don't have a windows CD)? I'm really out of ideas.

I reinstalled XP and checked the card - it is definitely an ATI Rage mobility, yet when I select this card in the mandrake install it won't recognise it. Don't know if this changes anything, but thought I'd check if anyone has any ideas.

Try the ati drivers? http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=23054&hl=

boot into failsafe mode, type: init 3, log in as root

Add thacs rpms as mentioned (no need to reboot)

Install newest xorg as mentioned

Download the ati drivers with: wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/fglrx_6_...0.19-1.i386.rpm

install the drivers with rpm -ivh --force fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1.i386.rpm (as mentioned)

run fglrxconfig

and startx (no deed to reboot)

Not exactly a thing a 2 year old can do but give it a try :)

Guest Bravo364

Hey, pepik, are you still having this problem? I am not sure if we are having the same issues but let me share...I was installing Mandrake 10 and everything went smooth on the GUI install but when I attempted to login and startx I received an error.

So I started googleing for solutions and arrived at this site, been a while with linux and I forgot half the commands then I saw devries instructions and XFdrake runbg a bell so I ran it.

I made sure that my grapics was set to rage mobility (Compaq Armada e500) then I changed my screen size to a larger setting. Only one problem now, my cursor moves the screen around because the settings are so large. Anyway I am not sure if you are having the same issue, I am about to go and attempt to adjust my screen setting now. Thanks BTW guys for your input in here, it helped!

Hi,

I have a Compaq Armada E500, PIII-650, 12 GB HDD, 192 MB Ram (128 Added), DVD driver, 14.1 " TFT Panel (1024x768), Lucent Winmodem, Intel Ethernet etc.

From Mdk 9.0 to Mdk 10.0 Official (Current) works fine. Just now I am using this computer. Allthough this is an old one speed is sufficient.

As for your screen problem, only set screen type to LCD panel 1024x768 when installing Mandrake. Ati rage mobility automaticalliy comes selected.

For Lucent modem and Synaptics touuchpad you have to do some small adjustments. And everything goes fine.

Here is my document about installing Mandrake 10.0 Official PowerPack on this computer.

http://www.elektronist.com/linux/kurulum/e500/e500.html

(Sorry in Turkish. But anyway take a look. Pictures tell much. You may understand changes in configuration files too.)

Bravo364, for the screensize: look in the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf, there you should find the screen size in the section "Screen" (toward the end); if it says something about a virtual size, you may want to comment that part out.

BTW Welcome aboard!

pepik, are you still having this problem?