Just trying out Mandrake Move

357mag

I put Mandrake Move in my DVD and loaded it up. I was happy that it automatically set up my internet connection so that works, and it also set up my printer, and it also set up my sound. But I can't seem to access my email. I did some reading about Kmail and added an account, put in my username and password, left the host field blank, and tried to access my email but it said, "could not connect to host localhost." Then I tried putting in the address of my ISP's incoming and outgoing mail server(mail.accessmn.com) and tried it again, but it still came up with, "could not connect to host localhost." Any ideas on how to get this setup?

I noticed some other things too. There is one icon that says, "CD-ROM" but there is no icon for my DVD drive(unless the icon for my DVD is called "Multimedia Player for CD's and DVD's.) When I clicked on CD-ROM it actually showed the contents of my DVD drive. Now why is that?

There is one icon for my A: floppy drive, but there is no icon for my Zip drive.

There is an icon for my hard drive as well and when I opened it up the contents were empty. Don't know about that either.

Of course I am new to Linux and just experimenting with a few different distros, so basically I know very little about the OS.

Any answers you can give me to clear things up would be appreciated.

moved from tips & tricks (anon)

could not connect to host localhost

The means you have to put an email-adresss in your 'identity' in kmail.

CD-Rom I guess it's a bit confused about the dvd:). It doesn't show the cd-rom because it's being used by the live cd.

Plug in your zip drive again. Does something happen? Can you see something under /mnt.

Rightclick on the hardrive icon, check properties, permissions. What does it say?

357mag: it just wasn't able to tell your DVD drive was a DVD drive and not a CD drive. It's just a label, won't have any bad consequences at all for how the drive works. The other link is not a link to a drive, it runs an application that can play audio, video and (non-encrypted) DVDs.

357mag: it just wasn't able to tell your DVD drive was a DVD drive and not a CD drive. It's just a label, won't have any bad consequences at all for how the drive works. The other link is not a link to a drive, it runs an application that can play audio, video and (non-encrypted) DVDs.

But if I have two optical drives(one CD-ROM and one DVD) shouldn't I have two desktop icons then? Seems to me I'm losing one whole drive here.

Now I right-clicked on the harddrive icon, checked properties, permissions and it said "owner can view content, group forbidden, and others forbidden." If I have Win 2000 and applications installed on my hard drive shouldn't all that stuff show up in the window when I open it?

I also unplugged my zip drive, plugged it back in but still no desktop icon for it. And I don't know what you mean by "something under /mnt." What is that and where would I find it?

And I checked in Kmail and under the General Tab it says:

Your Name: Tim Kangas

Email Address: tkangas@accessmn.com

So isn't that entered correctly then? But I still can't get my email. Seems to me somewhere in the configuration I should have to enter the incoming and outgoing email address of my ISP but I don't recall actually having to do that.