IBM R40, MDK 10.0, system hangs after suspend

Guest cendo123

Guest cendo123

hiya,

this hanging is not connected to KDE 3.2, or Gnome, I experienced it on every window manager.

when i suspend to RAM and get back to the window manager, after unpredictable time I get totaly freezing screen, can't move cursor and do anything, i must everytime hard reset.

otherwise when I do not suspend, system does not hang.

Somewhere, I found this problem has to do with Xfree86, and finally I found "known problems" on their site http://xfree86.org/4.4.0/ati7.html#29 :

"The use of a laptop's hot-keys to switch displays while this driver is active can cause lockups and/or other woes, and is therefore not recommended. It is not currently possible to solve this problem."

Am I right, i cannot solve my problem?

thanks for any idea

peter

I suspect, the core of the problem is ATI's agpgart module. I had the same problem with T41, Radeon Mobility 9000. The fix was to set

Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"

in XF86Config-4 and to an external agpgart module (the one which came with the kernel/XFree86). This module must be loaded before X startrs. To do that, add this line to /etc/modules (or whatever it's called in MDK 10)

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

agpgart

Resume is still not very stable, especially, if you boot straight into init 5. If I boot into init 3 and start X manually, the laptop resumes most of the time.

Guest cendo123

thanks a lot,

I have written those supposed lines in my XF86 config file*section "Device" > Driver "radeon" and to /etc/modules. Than I changed starting the system only to Init 3 level.

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "ATI"
   BoardName "ATI Radeon"
   Driver "radeon"
   Option "DPMS"
   Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
EndSection

Unfortunately, after restart, suspend to RAM and resume, I was hang one more time exactly the same way than before.

Is that right place in XF86 config file?

bye, pete

My fault, I should have asked you what driver you use... The option UseInternalAGPGART is relevant to the proprietary driver fglrx from ATI. If you use the radeon driver from XFree86, that's another story... I have no clue, radeon always worked fine for me except the 3D acceleration did not work. You may try to install fglrx driver, may be you will have more luck...

One more thing to try... boot into init 3, and suspend/resume while in console, without starting X. If the laptop does not resume, you might have to play with the framebuffer. I read a long time ago, that the radeon framebuffer was causing ThinkPads fail to resume. The suggestion was to use the VESA framebuffer (this all may be wrong, I can't remember where I read those things.... you better google for Thinkpad and framebuffer)

Guest cendo123

aha, OK. I'll try to install fglrx driver next week, now I'm little short on time.

Resume without starting X works well. so it's probably nothing with that framebuffer.

I want to reaffirm, that resume works(i get back my KDE) but after little unpredictable time it freezes suddenly.

aha, OK. I'll try to install fglrx driver next week, now I'm little short on time.

Resume without starting X works well. so it's probably nothing with that framebuffer.

I want to reaffirm, that resume works(i get back my KDE) but after little unpredictable time it freezes suddenly.

I experienced random freezes when I was trying to scroll acrobat page too quickly... I read since then that the fglrx driver had problems with a large number of opened windows and heavy graphics - the card could freeze. When that happened, I had to logon from another computer (the network worked) and force reboot. The problem may be fixed in newer releases, the version of fglrx which I use is pretty outdated.