can't acquire ip address from wireless router

nyrblue35

hey,

ive done some searching around here but cant find the answer i need. on drake 10.0 on my laptop, my wireless card is detected fine(SMC2632W) and i can see the proper module gets loaded(orinco or similar). but i cant get an ip address from my linksys router.

i thought it might have been something weird with my ESSID seetings and my encryption key so i decided to temporarily turn off WEP on my router and went back to MCC to properly remove and add the wireless connection which i did.

as soon as it asks me to restart the network i say yes but it still doesnt get an address. im right next to the router anyway for testing.

when the network tried to restart it just says:

bringing up interface eth1 (i have built in LAN @ eth0)

error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) : Set failed on device eth1 ; operation not supported

Determining IP information for eth1.........failed

now when i had the encryption set up i had a very strong signal but now w/out the encryption and even closer i get a 0% strength signal!!! duh.

to make matters worse drake tells me sometimes the card has been removed when it wasnt. i have my settings set to "any" instead of "managed" but that didnt do the trick either. any help appreciated. :help:

actually, i was able to connect w/out the encryption but not with it on. it just times out at boot.

DEVICE=eth1

ONBOOT=yes

HWADDR=XXXXXXXXXX

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=XXXXX

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY="XXXXXXXXXXX"

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

by the way, what are the actual commands in drake to bring eth0 or eth1 online and offline? id rather not do it at boot because i have encyprion set up at home, but they dont at my office on an access point which poses another question to you. will i still be able to connect to my access point at work with eth1 even though its set for my WEP key and what not? thanks

actually, i was able to connect w/out the encryption but not with it on.  it just times out at boot.

DEVICE=eth1

ONBOOT=yes

HWADDR=XXXXXXXXXX

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

WIRELESS_MODE=Managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=XXXXX

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY="XXXXXXXXXXX"

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

by the way, what are the actual commands in drake to bring eth0 or eth1 online and offline? id rather not do it at boot because i have encyprion set up at home, but they dont at my office on an access point which poses another question to you.  will i still be able to connect to my access point at work with eth1 even though its set for my WEP key and what not? thanks

My ifcfg-eth1 also imcludes

USERCTL=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

Do you use WEP or WPA encryption? From your config file, it looks like you use WEP... On the router, WEP can be set to open key, and shared key. Yo've got to tell eth1 what type of WEP authentication you're using. Check man iwconfig for the exact format of this setting.

To bring up or shutdown eth1, use ifup eth1 and ifdown eth1.

Which router do you have by the way?

Edited by coverup

its a 4 port linksys, the 11mb one. BEFW11S4. yeah im using WEP. at this point though what i want to do is use a script to bring eth1 onliune at work or at home. at home i use WEP on my linksys, but at work the WAP i connect to doesnt use it it so i dont think i can have that in my ifcfg-eth1 file, right?

here's the script i used as i dont have eth1 start at boot, i just run it when i log in:

#!/bin/bash

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 down

/sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid XXXXXX mode Managed key XXXXXXXXXX

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up

/sbin/dhcpcd eth1

what happens is when i try this script at home(script is called "home") this is the output i get.

root@localhost# ./home

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :

SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

/etc/dhcp/dhcpcd.exe: line 27 .: filename argument required

if i turn off the encryption on my router and i have no issues connectiing but of course i dont want that. :juggle:

any idea? i will try adding that extra info in my script.

Edited by nyrblue35

It seems that you need separate eth1 config files for work and home. Mandrake handles this issue through allowing you to create multiple network profiles, and switch between them. Essentially, when you switch profiles, it does exactly what you are trying to do - runs bunch of scripts. You can do the following (I have mdk9.2, so you may need to modify that suff to suit your system):

Using MCC, create two profiles, say use "default" for home, and "work" for work. While at work, configure eth1 for "work", i.e., create and edit the configuration file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.

When you switch the netprofile to "default", the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 will be copied and saved to /etc/netprofiles/profiles/work/files/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. Now you can configure eth1 for WEP connection at home, these changes will overwrite /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 to provide correct settings for your home WiFi LAN. Next time you switch the netprofile to "work", these settings will be saved in /etc/netprofiles/profiles/default/files/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1. Make note of what in those files, and backup them - MCC screwed up them for me several times.

Every time you switch profiles, mandrake will copy appropriate files and restart network in new configuration, you don't need to worry about scripting. You can add profiles to LILO as an option to append= (e.g, PROFILE="default"), so every time you start the laptop at work or at home, you can choose a suitable netprofile right away on boot.

thanks for the tips. i see what you are talking about with the profiles and thats cool but at the moment i just want to get this working at home before i try making another profile. the main problem here is that i cant get an ip address.

btw, i looked all over man iwconfig but couldnt find the proper syntax for WEP to add to my ifcfg-eth1.

thanks for the tips. i see what you are talking about with the profiles and thats cool but at the moment i just want to get this working at home before i try making another profile. the main problem here is that i cant get an ip address. 

btw, i looked all over man iwconfig but couldnt find the proper syntax for WEP to add to my ifcfg-eth1.

In brief, my suggestion is to start eth1 with Mandrake's command ifup eth1. This will call and run all necessary scripts, including dhcp if you specify BOOTPROTO=dhcp. It's only a guess, but you might be missing something in your script. So let the system do the job.

WEP worked for me with this config (I was using shared key):

DEVICE=eth1
USERCTL=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
# BOOTPROTO=static
# IPADDR=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=no                                   # I start WiFi only if I need it
HWADDR=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff          # All lower case, don't know if that matters
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
#
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=Managed
ESSID=MySSID
KEY="restricted s:MyWEPkey"

If you want to try using static IP address - comment out BOOTPROTO=dhcp and uncomment the two lines below that line (replace aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd with an IP address).

Edited by coverup