can't get in to MDK 10.1

New2MDK

Hi, I finally got everything going with guarddog earlier and after I finished disabling services I wasn't using, I thought. Apparently, I stopped a service that shouldn't of been stopped I'm guessing. Anytime I try to boot, it has trouble starting the ROOT FILESYSTEM it says. Boot continues and takes me to the login screen, I sign in and the KDE GUI starts, but stops at 'intializing services configuration'. At that point I have no choice but to hard boot. Then when I tried again, it said hit Y to rescure root filesystem, which I did. Boot continued and the same thing happened. Then I used the boot disk >hit F1 for more options > rescure> repair /root filesystem and that never resolved anything.

Did I screw things up bad? Can I recover without re-installing? And if I have to reinstall, is there a way to keep my bookmarks, docs I haved saved in Mandrake right now?

Please help, I'll be a newbie forever if I can't get in to learn MDKlinux

Thank you very much

New2MDK

have you any idea which services you might have disabled? have you tried booting in failsafe mode? if not, give it a try. and: can you log in, using something different than kde, eg. icewm or twm? if yes, you can start the mdk-controlcenter from there and fix things.

in case you have your user-data (/home) on a separate partition, you can keep all your personal settings and won't loose any data when reinstalling.

Thank you for your reply,

I am not sure what services I disabled. I have booted into failsafe mode, and actually I was able to get to a command prompt, if thats important? I am also able to boot into WindowMaker and WVMsomething I think, both of which I am to deal with services. Would I be able to enable all serices just until I get a proper boot, or is that not recommended? If I can do that, how would I know which services I could disable?

My /home is on a seperate partition from /root. Are you saying even if I would end up reinstalling, hat would be intact?

Thank you very much for the help :headbang:

New2MDK

I am not sure what services I disabled.

neither am i :D

I have booted into failsafe mode, and actually I was able to get to a command prompt, if thats important? I am also able to boot into WindowMaker and WVMsomething I think, both of which I am to deal with services. Would I be able to enable all serices just until I get a proper boot, or is that not recommended? If I can do that, how would I know which services I could disable?

you can turn on all service for testing purposes. the only thing that might happen, i guess, is that you system gets a bit slower. when you get to the services section there is a info-button for every service. most are telling you directly if they are needed for home-pcs or only for servers. those that are specifically marked as server-services can usually be disabled.

My /home is on a seperate partition from /root. Are you saying even if I would end up reinstalling, hat would be intact?

yes. i have reinstalled my system several times when tweaking it until it broke and my personal data was always safe. the best option for noobs is, when reinstalling the base-system, to set up a new user-account before restoring your old-account data. maybe you messed up some of your personal config-files, too. so, when adding a new user, you can test if everything is working well.

if it does, you can switch back to your old account, but before (!) you do so, remove the old config-files, just to make sure that it does not act strangely.

when you open konqueror as root (open a terminal in your user-account, type "su", then enter the password. after that type "konqueror"), enable the hidden-file view option in the konq-menu and remove the /.kde and /.qt folder in your old user account. that way, everything will be set back to the default settings (in gnome you need to remove the /.gconf and /.gtk2 folders).

good luck.

I was able to enable all services, hower, that did not work. I'm going to do a re-install, and really I only need to save a couple of this (bookmarks in firefox and email messages). Since booting-up failsafe will allow me to get to a command prompt, I am able to get to /home. Am I able to save that particular information, and could you please help me achieve that.

The reason being, having used M$ way to long, I have become paranoid with installing over another corrupt install and normally like to do a clean install. Am I able to do the above then a clean install.

Thank you again,

New2MDK

as i said, removing the files i mentioned will not remove your firefox-config (with bookmarks, etc, stored in /.firefox or /.mozilla) and it should not delete your mail settings (stored in /.mail).

you can reinstall the system without big problems. when you get to the partitioning screen, simply reformat the /root partition in e.g. ext3 fileformat. then mount your /home partition but tell the tool NOT to format the /home partition (=use existing partition and keep all data on it alive). that way, everything will be kept safe and there will be no need to archive all your files.

this is really the easiest way.

one question though, before you do a reinstall: what hardware do you use? maybe it is not a system-services problem but a hardware-thing (like graphic-card issues) please give us some info on that.

in case your graphic card is causing trouble (which is quite possible), open a terminal, log in as root and type "XFdrake". this will start the config tool for your graphic card. check the settings. if they are not the way they should be, set up your gfx-card and resolutions again and try to log into kde.

:)

one question though, before you do a reinstall: what hardware do you use? maybe it is not a system-services problem but a hardware-thing (like graphic-card issues) please give us some info on that.

in case your graphic card is causing trouble (which is quite possible), open a terminal, log in as root and  type "XFdrake". this will start the config tool for your graphic card. check the settings. if they are not the way they should be, set up your gfx-card and resolutions again and try to log into kde.

PIII-930Mhz

256RAM

NVIDIA Geforce2 (which it detected with a linux driver)

TurtleBeach santa cruz

I won't re-install yet

Thx

New2MDK

As you suggested, I ran XFdrake as root. When the dialog box opened, I could see it had all the correct options selected. However, I went into each to make sure, I even ran a test which was fine. I then booted in using KDE. But when I did a system boot then it brought to a Non GUI Mandrake login, which only let me into root.

As I was booting back in, I saw 2 lines which did not appear normally:

root filesystem

check after boot

filesystem

check after boot

I don't know if that has anything to do with any of this.

Thx for you patience,

New2MDK

okay, it really seems that your filesystem got corrupt somehow (dunno what you did to your /root environment). when reinstalling the base-system, use preferrably the ext3 filesystem. it is imho the most reliable. once you have set everything up, use the link on top of this page for easyurpmi, set up your ftp-mirrors as explained there and update your system with all needed patches. the easiest way for a complete system update is as root from the command line:

urpmi --auto-select

after having your system up2date with all bugfixes, it should be rock stable ( i didn't have any problems ever with mandrake other than those which i caused myself due to stupidity /tweaking :cheesy: )

okay, it really seems that your filesystem got corrupt somehow (dunno what you did to your /root environment). when reinstalling the base-system, use preferrably the ext3 filesystem. it is imho the most reliable. once you have set everything up, use the link on top of this page for easyurpmi, set up your ftp-mirrors as explained there and update your system with all needed patches. the easiest way for a complete system update is as root from the command line:

urpmi --auto-select

after having your system up2date with all bugfixes, it should be rock stable ( i didn't have any problems ever with mandrake other than those which i caused myself due to stupidity /tweaking :cheesy: )

arctic,

since I was able to enter Mandrake with WindowMaker, I just used it to make backups of what I wanted to keep. Then I did a fresh install. First I did what you recommended, and my files were saved, however, even after reformatting the / partition, it still booted the same way when I was having problems.

Anyway,

Thanks for everything, I appreciate it.

New2MDK

huh? this is getting weird... after a fresh install it should run without any problems, because it did so before you hacked on your services, right? now, if kde still refuses to work the way it should after a clean install, there must be some mayor hardware-problem as windowmaker etc. do work. i almost guess that your nvidia card is the troublemaker and not your services, although

root filesystem

check after boot

filesystem

check after boot

is a signal of something gone entirely wrong on your filesystem.

have you already installed nvidia drivers? if not, try that now. there is a howto for this in the faq section of the board, i guess.

p.s.: check for error-messages in your home-folder. there should be one and if possible, post its contents.

Edited by arctic

huh? this is getting weird... after a fresh install it should run without any problems, because it did so before you hacked on your services, right? now, if kde still refuses to work the way it should after a clean install, there must be some mayor hardware-problem  as windowmaker etc. do work. i almost guess that your nvidia card is the troublemaker and not your services, although

root filesystem

check after boot

filesystem

check after boot

is a signal of something gone entirely wrong on your filesystem.

have you already installed nvidia drivers? if not, try that now. there is a howto for this in the faq section of the board, i guess.

p.s.: check for error-messages in your home-folder. there should be one and if possible, post its contents.

I'm sorry,

I probably explained myself wrong. "After" the clean install all worked and is working well. It was when I only partitioned / that, that was happening.

Thanks again,

New2MDK