Using CD Drive and Mandrake 10.1

Guest SyNiSteR

Guest SyNiSteR

OK, to preface this post...

I am new to linux and would desperately like to be fluent with it. Many of the articles I read somewhat makes sense, but alot goes completely over my head. I have managed to install Mandrake 10.1 and everything is running fine. I was able to troubleshoot and resolve certain issues like my sound card but other things are driving me nuts.

However, I don't understand how the CD-Drive works as compared to windows. I am using the KDE Desktop and have figured out how to right click and create the CD Drive device icon. But when I change CD's the contents of the original CD is still listed. Ideally I would like the drive to act like windows. I switch cd's and so does the info when I click on the icon.

I've tried searching multiple forums and different newb articles but I still cannot find any useful info. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.

Guest SyNiSteR

I have tried doing that before I created the thread. The problem is either unmounting the CD (I get an error that the drive is busy even when I'm not using it), or when I do right click and select mount the cd is 42 folders all with the names of "???????". Any suggestions?

do you know how to install programs by urpmi? you can urpmi magicdev if it's not already installed. That unmount issue is really annoying me too, but that's only caused by nautilus or mplayer (or konqueror in this case). i found that "killall mplayer" even after i've exited it enables me to umount cleanly...

but don't worry...you can also use supermount as another option to solve this.