No KDE/GNOME

Guest lachesis

Guest lachesis

OK

So the install went fine except for where it asked for my graphical options. I selected the NVIDIA 6800 (generic) driver and my monitor as a generic 1024*768 @ 70Hz.

When I tried to test it said something like:

Error (EE) Cannot find device specified or summat like that.

So I figure I'll see if the install goes OK and then go from there. So now I am at my console prompt and need to know where to go from here from you kind people :-) I'm sure with some basic instructions I'll muddle through, just a link to a nice article would be cool

One last thing, on bootup it was taking ages so I went into verbose mode and saw that my eth0 and eth1 interfaces werent coming up - any ideas on this before I boot up into it?

Thank you

Boot up and login at the command line login. To rerun your graphics setup run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# XFdrake

Navigate the menus with your arrow keys as there is no mouse support. If nothing else tests right, try the vesa option. You will ultimately want to install the nvidia drivers so it really doesn't matter what you do at this point as long as you can get to a gui; this is just a temporary setup. You can then troubleshoot your network problems using mandrake's graphical tools.

You have an NVidia 6800? AFAIK the Open Source Nvidia drive (nv) doesn't support that card yet. Try downloading Nvidia's own driver and install it. But since you probably need GUI for that, try selecting something simpler, like vesa, during XFdrake.

You have an NVidia 6800? AFAIK the Open Source Nvidia drive (nv) doesn't support that card yet. Try downloading Nvidia's own driver and install it. But since you probably need GUI for that, try selecting something simpler, like vesa, during XFdrake.

To install nvidia drivers (get them from nvidia repository) you MUST be in sonosle mode (init 3), do a rmmod nvidia (if previously loaded) and run, as root, the installer.

Pls remeber kernel source MUST be installed for the installer to compile the module.